Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-31-2024, 01:34 AM
Free Member

Hello,

I currently have a Philips VR960 S-VHS VCR with S-Video output. I am upscaling through a Retrotink 5k with triple buffer mode enabled and have been getting excellent (to my eyes) quality on a modern TV (low-end TLC 4K). This is in contrast to my Retrotink 2x, which does not have any buffering and drops the signal entirely when rewinding/forwarding/dirty/badly timed portion of tape.

From reading various threads, it seems like I can either try to digitize using an analog capture card (I have some spare PCs I could downgrade OS to use an older card), or attempt to capture using a digital capture card like Elgato, and other ebay specials (which some users have good success with).

The main source material is going to be home movies on VHS, as well as VHS-C running through a VHS adapter cartridge. These have lots of noise in them and are filmed rather poorly, so lossless 1:1 video is not as important as a steady image (can always edit through software later).

I have a flexible budget, but so far would not be willing to invest into a $600-700 VCR with built-in TBC due to VCR reliability concerns + the fact that the Retrotink 5k with Triple Buffer has been able to handle tapes with bad timing on them decently so far. I would be willing to invest $200-400 on a decent capture card or analog card, etc.

Question 1:

Is the Elgato an acceptable capture card for digitizing the signal from the Retrotink 5k? I am able to upscale to 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1200p through the Retrotink 5k. But I know some have said the elgato cards can have issues with the weird resolution/aspect ratio from VHS. I would imagine one of the multitude of options the Retrotink offers (resolution + aspect ratio options) could be compatible but haven't seen any specifics.

Question 2:
Would any of these other devices/options offer a better experience?

-I have 2 MiniDV camcorders + the 4 or 5 different dongles needed to convert from the MiniDV Sony cable to Firewire, Thunderbolt, and all the way up to USB-C/Thunderbolt 4 (or whatever the latest version is). I have a spare Macbook Pro that has been able to intake these MiniDVs (which are of course already digital) and output them directly into iMovie. Would getting some adapters and using the MiniDV camcorder as a passthrough device offer better quality?

-I have spare desktop PCs that I can install windows XP etc. on and purchase an analog card. I could capture from the VCR through S-Video directly and ignore the Retrotink 5k altogether.

Appreciate any input in advance, and apologies if I've left something important out that would be needed to provide a better response.

Last edited by inspire; 01-31-2024 at 01:51 AM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2024, 03:01 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
Welcome.

... but you're very confusede about video capture.

Retrotinks are for video game consoles, not videotapes, and all the "triple/whatever buffering" is very technobabbly. Game consoles have a very precise generated output that can be timed against, while videotapes have none of that, and really do not properly time video. At most, it may act like a non-TBC frame sync, but even that is not clear.

Retrotinks are not TBCs, and do not replace TBCs. Not quality line TBCs (that clean the image) in certain S-VHS VCRs, nor external frame TBCs that clean the signal.

Elgato is so infamous that it earned the nickname "Elcrapo" for video capture cards. (Elgato makes several other gear items but capture cards are NOT one of them.)

You need to be careful with random "success" stories, the people that claim "it worked for me". Those people are happy with audio quality through a telephone, and think that "potato quality" video is great (with the dunce excuse "it's only VHS"). Remember, some people eat a diet of pure McDonald's and Taco Bell, and I doubt you'd want to follow their diet because "it worked for me". (Round is a shape, right? Your heart is supposed to beat fast, right?)

Do not upscale videotapes for capture. You lose massive amounts of data doing this. Videotapes should be native capture as 480i NTSC (576i PAL), 29.97fps/29.97i NTSC (25fps/25i PAL) interlaced, YUV, Rec.601, etc. Not to video game specs, not to HDTV specs, etc.

DV cameras are 1990s technology, and use heavy compression that throws away 50%+ of the color data. You end up with cooked colors (bad tint/hue), blotchy spots, gray muddy areas, and DV macroblocks.

Windws XP/7 is best for consumer analog videotape capture, as that was the OS of the era. Tape capturing is now a legacy task, and all the "new" stuff is for HD/gamesetc, and does poorly with SD videotape sources. The hardware, software, and OS of the mid/late 00s into 10s is what you need and want. All the "new" stiff requires workarounds, treat the capture card like a webcam, etc.

You need specific cards.

Quote:
would not be willing to invest into a $600-700 VCR with built-in TBC due to VCR reliability concerns
This doesn't make sense. Low-end VCRs are a concern (even when "working"), while mid/high-end quality VCRs merely need to come from a reputable reliable source (not random eBay sellers that lie about "tested" and "working").

For quality capture, the quality starts at the VCR, is maintained/purified by the TBCs, and the capture card then baken in whatever it sees from the VCR/TBC. After digitize, there's really no more room for corrections, no magic software to CSI "enhance".

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs