Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-07-2024, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

I know it has been a great debate on several occasions, but how important is filter order in one’s Avisynth scripts? For example I’m taking SD VHS converting to 1080p. Without a copy and paste of the script, so far my order is this:

Import video

Qtgmc to deinterlace and convert 30 to 60fps

Crop to ntsc 704x480

Resize 1440x1080

Rec 601 to 709

Would anyone reorder the filters, and also I’d love to start a discussion on what other filters we may find important in addition to these taking SD to HD.

Bmac
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-07-2024, 10:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
It fully depends on what you're doing. (I can't type more now, hurt.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-07-2024, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Converting VHS to more modern clean video. Much like we all are. I know you’re full of info, lay it on us.
04-08-2024, 08:37 AM
Free Member

There’s also a lot of information on Avisynth’s page. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page. I know he said something about order to me earlier with scripting but he was talking about some more advanced stuff that he does before he plugs his script into Hybrid. There isn’t anything wrong with Hybrids order.

I kinda think it’s a good idea to just dive in and start reading. These techniques are really old there are forum post about everything and script examples but it would be a ridiculous task for LS to walk everyone through it especially with his hand in a cast right now. I am just going to barrel through like a bull in a China shop then I will come back and ask LS about broken glass.

This is a good post for learning about Avisynth. https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...pts-guide.html Actually a lot of Sanlyn’s post are really good for learning Avisynth. He has a lot of patience.

Hybrid seems a lot easier to me but I want to learn Avisynth to give me a better idea of what is going on in Hybrid and Avisynth has a lot of useful tools. Also because after messing around with bad software I am reading about this and thinking wow this is nice and everything is just interesting. There is easier to understand software like Staxrip.
04-08-2024, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

I have to say I wasn’t squeezing LS for a guide, rather posting to the forum to start a discussion on the subject. I haven’t read anything that spelled out successes and failures with script order, so I thought this would be a good place to start.
04-08-2024, 02:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

A guide is a good idea, and I've always wanted to make one.

QTGMC deinterlace
-- followed by --
crop/mask

is what you want to do. But you skipped some likely steps for VHS sources.

- chromashift (fix chrome offset / bleeding)
- intraframe/in-frame/static NR
- interframe/temporal NR
- sharpening (LSFmod is aggressive, but good to test clips with)

There's quite a few current/past members that have added great case-by-case Avisynth scripts over the years.

04-08-2024, 02:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I have to say I wasn’t squeezing LS for a guide
I didn’t think you were squeezing him for a guide. Those links have helped me and I thought they might help you. Anyways I think for uploading to YouTube hybrid’s order is fine.

-- merged --

Learning Avisynth for order, control, multiple filters is more advanced then what you are talking about. That’s why I am starting out using hybrid but I still want to get a basic understanding as Avisynth and check out all of its tools. Good luck.
04-08-2024, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate pointing out the links. They are in fact good info. I was just hoping to generate some interest in a discussion here. I’ll post what I find and then LS La and others can rip me a new one for doing it wrong.
04-08-2024, 11:20 PM
Free Member

Idk if the bull was a good analogy. I’ve been going slow. More like a sloth that knocks stuff over and only works on weekends. Haha

I don’t wanna discourage questions. The forum is for discussion. I was just trying to share some stuff that I thought you might not have seen and it helped me. Maybe it will answer some questions.

Hybrid helps with the order of operations, it’s easier to get working than Pmod, and it’s a good software to start with I think.

Some of the tools like the vectorscope help to visualize how your white point changes and how the colors are wrapped around your luminance in YUV and how tent works. Also it helps you check your saturation.

Anyways hopefully that helps.
04-09-2024, 11:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmacSWA View Post
and then LS La and others can rip me a new one for doing it wrong.
Well, I hope nobody ever thinks I do that.

Help is my goal.

Avisynth is large topic, and even I learn stuff on a regular basis. Avisynth is almost like a literal galaxy, billions of possible scripts (stars). Everybody (regular users/scripts), at some point, manages to craft scripts (find new stars) that leave others in awe.

There is definitely a basic formula, for specific sources. Basic if/then (your decisions), and then adjust the values (for each script line, switches/options).

For example, from videotape source, with streaming/Youtube output, deinterlace (almost always QTGMC) is a constant. But the exact values can vary.

04-20-2024, 10:53 AM
Free Member

I found some more Avisynth links. This one has to do with filter order https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...ams-color.html. Here’s something that helped me figure out what I was messing up on my proc amp settings https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...orrection.html If you’re looking through this forum I would search for Sanlyn, the master, LS or Lollo’s comments about the subject.

If you go looking through old threads on Avisynth keep in mind that YV12 is half the horizontal color resolution of YV 16. https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...yuy2-yv16.html
04-21-2024, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

That is good info. Thanks for posting.
04-21-2024, 09:56 AM
Free Member

Here’s one more https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...h-filters.html and you’re welcome. Using bookmarks on your phone is a good idea. It keeps your stuff organized into files and you can change the titles.
04-21-2024, 12:06 PM
Free Member

sorry, wrong thread