Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-10-2024, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

The first computer I bought for myself was in October 1999. I was still in university but had part-time jobs and lived at home and so had some disposable income for this hobby. I attached a copy of the computer parts list that I had put together. The cost was $3000 Canadian for this Pentium 2 with three HDDs including two in a raid to help avoid dropped frames. And that price tag did not even include the ADI 17 inch monitor, which I came to understand, was superior to other monitors of the day. I have never spent that much on a computer since in part because I now have kids and they need Chromebook or laptops and little pocket computers that we strangely call smartphones.

On that first PC, my capture device was a Miro DC 10+. The capture software and the editing software was the Pinnacle Studio 7. I loved that software. Until that time, I had only messed around with editing by using an RCA 8 mm camcorder and our home VHS player. The ability to precisely edit music and video on a computer was incredible. I had never used the editing hardware that proceeded nonlinear or video editing so I don’t know what that was like.

In December 2001 I purchased my first video camera. It was a Sony TRV 17 mini DV recorder. I added a fire wire card to my Windows computer and I sort of relegated our family 8 mm tapes to a box. A few years later, I connected an 8 mm camcorder to the mini DV camcorder and copied the video files. Years later, I came to realize that that was not the best method.

A few years ago, I got back into the analogue video capture world found this forum and got up to speed on what I needed to.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8097 Copy.jpg (58.8 KB, 14 downloads)

Last edited by ThumperStrauss; 04-10-2024 at 11:30 AM.
The following users thank ThumperStrauss for this useful post: Xhumeka (04-15-2024)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-14-2024, 01:39 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
I've rarely run high-end ($2500+ USD) new systems. In 80s, into 90s, all were used/2nds from family/friends. My first non-secondhand computer was a 486 in 1994, had 3x SCSI CD, 600dpi SCSI scanner, SCSI pro audio card. More 2nds until 2001. I still have that 2001 invoice for the AIW system, with new DVD-R(G) burner. Rest of 00s to mid 10s, lots of desktop 2nds, refurbs, and a new best-spec laptop. Expensive i7-6700K in 2015, and I still use it for video. Mini PCs since, several tablets. Last year, an Mac M2 Pro for 4K and H.265 video editing. So 5 high-end systems in 40 years, lots of budget/2nds in between.

Most of the 2nds were free, or barter for time/skill. Not buying "best" computer let me buy camera/lens, TBCs, etc. Same for cars, I've only owned 3 cars ever (actually 4, but I don't drive that one myself), even drove one for 20+ years, and the savings over my lifetime is massive. The best life tip ever = "live below your means". But also "don't skimp when/where needed". And "buy it, use it, resell it".

I started to seek video capture in 1995, and had to wait 6 more years for it to be viable for what I wanted and needed. There were too many compromises before then. But I did use gear for digital-assisted analog restoration in late 90s.

^ And that reply took forever to type one-handed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs