Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-17-2024, 12:46 PM
Free Member

I'm attempting to get a capture device for my JVC S7900U VCR, and the one I have my eye on is the GV-USB2, since I'm running Windows 11 (heard this is one of the better ones for newer OSs).

However, upon further research, it seems the market is flooded with fakes for this capture device? I see a listing on Amazon here (the one sold from "tokyoexport"): https://amzn.to/3Jm5qS4

But most posts I've read have said that ones "from Japan" are actually fakes. This particular one is shipped from Amazon, so even if that's the case, I could return it easily. Does anyone know if this listing is legit though? And if not, how I could get a legit one?

Thank you!

Edit: A bonus question, if I end up purchasing the one from Amazon, are there any particular signs to look for to see if it's a fake? Thank you again!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-17-2024, 04:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,094 Posts
It's right there in that seller's feedback: "Selling COUNTERFEIT products"
Many, many items are fake.

Amazon is more and more like Aliexpress and Temu --- ie, fake or cheap Chinese crap. Never buy anything that can be faked (ESPECIALLY NOT VITAMINS!), or that isn't sold/shipped by Amazon itself, or the actual product manufacturer. I forget the numbers (I saw them somewhere a while back), but more than 50% of random 3rd party sellers give you items that are used/returned, broken or not working, fake/counterfiet, etc.

Win10/11 has issues with this card as well, it's not immune.

It's become harder to acquire non-fake GV-USB2 since 2023, and the irony is that the card isn't even worth all the effort. It's mediocre and not the best. I think there are also versions, as my two cards do not appear the same. I've not had time to crack them apart yet, examine the boards/chips. Like other cards/models/brands, it's just a mess. There are few vocal people online pushing these cards, and that's it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-17-2024, 07:40 PM
Free Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. I actually spent the evening researching this and I think I have a good answer. To answer your question as to why you have two, IO made two versions of this capture device. An older, pre-windows 10 version, and a newer post-windows 10 version. They have slightly different logos on the devices. One has a white border with black text, and the other has no border with white text.

As for the fakes on Amazon, it's easy to distinguish as it's based on the product pages. This is the product page for the real one:

I-O Data GV-USB2 Video/VHS 0.3 inch (8 mm) DVD Dubbing PC Ingestion Video Capture Japanese Manufacturer https://amzn.to/446zHhu

Counterfeits will have different product pages with slight variations in the titles ("E" or "Enhanced"). I ordered one myself from the correct product page and will report back.
04-17-2024, 07:44 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiks-dude View Post
Counterfeits will have different product pages
The scammers/fakers use the same pages.

04-17-2024, 09:16 PM
Free Member

Possibly, but I've ordered from two different sellers on that product page. I'll report back on if they're legit or not in a couple days when they arrive.

-- merged --

Just got them both with 1-day shipping from two different sellers (both shipped from Amazon). They both appear to be legit. Both came with the Windows 10 retail box and driver disc, instructions, and the device with IO Data engraved in white text. The device matches what's shown on the retail box as well.

So it seems that as long as you order from the right product page, you will get a legit version. Just avoid any "E" or "Enhanced" versions or product pages.
04-21-2024, 05:45 PM
Free Member

I just bought the I-O Data GV-USB2 from the same Amazon seller who has the review "Selling COUNTERFEIT products" and what arrived seems to be legitimate. I typed in the serial number from the back of the capture card and was able to download the driver software.

I wanted to compare it against the Diamond VC500 to see the AGC issue on the VC500, but I don't see it. My theory is that my workflow of making a "flat" capture and then correcting brightness and contrast afterwards prevents the AGC issue.

What I notice is that the GV-USB2 stops recording when the monitor is turned off, the video output is much smoother than the VC500 (I think I have the sharpness setting of the VC500 set too high), and I can't adjust op amp settings in realtime while looking at the histogram, so the GV-USB2 is a little awkward to use.
04-21-2024, 08:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

VC500 had versions. You may have one of the earlier versions, like sanlyn, that lacked the AGC issue. Also, this change in behavior may be due to firmware on-chip, not a different chip.

04-21-2024, 08:55 PM
Free Member

I'm on my 3rd VC500 now. They keep dying, in that the audio stops recording.
04-22-2024, 09:20 PM
Free Member

Hmm. I wonder if the VC500's would last longer if you added active cooling and removed the outer case? Like how long does it take to burn one out? I've got one, but haven't tested it.

I'm not entirely clear how to "reproduce" the AGC issue that is described either. You'd think you'd be able to do it by adjusting brightness back and forth with a proc amp, but even then I'm not sure what a bad result would look like?