Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-20-2024, 08:17 PM
Free Member

Hi,

I'm looking to acquire a PAL TBC (for 220v european power supply) for capturing VHS/video8 with a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 2, using Final Cut Pro 7 on a Mac Pro... I can capture with composite, component or SD-SDI...

I have a Sony SLV-T2000VC player for VHS and video8/Hi8 and a JVC HR-DVS1EU player for VHS...

I also want to use the TBC to capture Glitch Art video...

Any recommendations?

Is a For.A FA-395 any good? ...From what I understand from reading the manual it can only do TBC or Frame Syncronizer, not both at the same time... Maybe I'm wrong...
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-21-2024, 01:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,468 Times in 2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosisosmosis View Post
Hi,
I'm looking to acquire a PAL TBC (for 220v european power supply) for capturing VHS/video8 with a Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 2, using Final Cut Pro 7 on a Mac Pro... I can capture with composite, component or SD-SDI...
I have a Sony SLV-T2000VC player for VHS and video8/Hi8 and a JVC HR-DVS1EU player for VHS...
I also want to use the TBC to capture Glitch Art video...
Any recommendations?
Blackmagic cards required strong TBCs, otherwise many problems.

- JVC VCR for VHS should be good.
- Sony for Hi8 only if it has line TBC. Does it? Otherwise camera better (usually is the case).

Glitch art is special needs, and I've worked with quiet a few others here. Random TBCs often fail here, even DataVideo TBC-1000.

Best TBC here depends on budget. Good budget, good TBC. Lack of budget, the TBC will fail you somewhere when needed. But you can at least chose what will fail, based on the unit. But again, BM as capture card, weak/budget TBCs will usually fail, so a weak TBC generally requires a better capture card. And with Mac in se, that's essentially impossible. Catch-22 without proper budget.

Quote:
Is a For.A FA-395 any good?
No.

These broadcast rackmount "pizza box" TBCs do not function as newbies think. There was a time when these units wouldn't even sell for $10, because the capture community knew better (only handful of sites with vetted info). But there's too many kiddies with bad info these days, running around on "social media" Youtube/etc, spouting BS/nonsense. Paying $100+/500+/1000+ for the units is insane, and it's their fault. Fools and money get parted.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-23-2024, 06:49 AM
Free Member

I've seen a few YouTube videos out there where a variety of TBCs were used for glitch art - often video switchers or sometimes the pizza box types. they were all NTSC though...

What's a good test to see how TBCs perform for those without fancy glitch art gear? like a simple 2 source dirty mixer with a single potentiometer?

Tags
blackmagic, capture, tbc, vhs