Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Restore, Filter, Improve Quality

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-23-2024, 04:11 PM
Free Member

Hi, I just finishing doing a few captures of a VHS tape, and was hoping to do some filtering via VirtualDub. I've included some pictures of a couple issues I've ran into so far. One is with some interlacing, which I believe I solved with VirtualDub's IVTC built-in filter (settings: decomb -> auto -> adaptive). Does that seem like the correct solution?

The second issue is with a slight discoloration. I've included two frames, one where it's slight and another where it's more prominent (easy to see if you switch back and forth between the pictures). I was wondering what this issue in particular was, and if there was a filter that could solve it?

I'd also be welcome to any feedback for additional filters that I should be on the lookout to use.

Thank you so much!

Edit: Upon closer examination, it seems the color abnormality is related to the interlacing issue where the IVTC was applied, and is an "after-image." The IVTC got rid of the horizontal lines, but then this seems to be left over. Is there another filter that can remove the color/after-image?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color Abnormality 1.jpg (24.3 KB, 15 downloads)
File Type: jpg Color Abnormality 2.jpg (22.4 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg Interlacing (used IVTC on this).jpg (39.8 KB, 13 downloads)

Last edited by rubiks-dude; 04-23-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Free Member

Uploading a third picture of the "ghosting" effect.

Edit: Upon further further inspection, it seems to be unrelated to the IVTC filter application. Both the interlacing and this "Ghosting" effect seem to appear together in the raw lossless avi file. So at least it isn't an issue with the IVTC.

It seems to be a "temporal" issue? I'm using the "temporal smoother" filter in VirtualDub and I can see noticeable changes in the quality of the after-image effect. Although it doesn't seem to necessarily improve it, it just changes it. Any recommendations on filters to improve the temporal effect?

The "temporal cleaner" filter doesn't seem to do anything at all, though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color Abnormality 3.jpg (30.3 KB, 8 downloads)

Last edited by rubiks-dude; 04-23-2024 at 05:22 PM.
04-24-2024, 08:09 AM
Free Member

Uploading a 10 sec clip of the issue.

Attached Files
File Type: avi 10 sec clip.avi (60.93 MB, 5 downloads)
04-24-2024, 11:58 AM
Free Member

Interlacing isn’t bad it’s just a past of VHS. You want to deinterlace if you need to in QTGMC. You only want to deinterlace if it’s required by the player you want to use like if you are wanting to upload to YouTube you have to deinterlace.

VirtualDub’s filters generally work in RGB. You want to edit in YUV first then in RGB. There are script editors you can use to restore your video. https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-restore/14270-avisynth-filter-order.html You have to read a good amount to figure out that part.