05-22-2021, 05:46 AM
Free Member

Hi,

I have started capturing my families early 90's Hi8-tapes. I think that I have a fairly good workflow for that: A Sony DCR-TRV320E with TBC on and DNR on, feeding s-video through a DVK-100 which outputs to a ATI USB600. As capture software I use Virtualdub and do lossless huffYUY AVI, this I will backup and archive for future generations

I tried going without the DVK-100 and I could not really spot any real difference and VirtualDub does not seem to be reporting any dropped frames either way, so I will perhaps leave that one out of the setup.

Now after doing the first tape I would like to proceed with trying to get a "stream ready" copy, with a bit of filtering. And would therefor like to get some suggestions on how and what I can do. I have tried browsing the forum and some googling and I seem to always end up on different paths.

As I understand, Avisynth(+?) with QTGMC is the way to go for deinterlacing, but color correction should be done using the in VirtualDub? So How do I achieve this, first write the AviSynth script, load that into Virtualdub and add the color filters in there, and then save that as a new copy of the AVI which I then send to "something" to transcode it to h264/mp4? Or is there some other suggestion?

I have extracted a frame from the original video and would love to get your input on what could be done to improve it. What I have noticed myself is a bit of green/yellow on the right side of the frame anything that could be done to fix this? as well as some two or three lines in the bottom which seems out of place, I guess these could be cropped out? Then there is the black bars on each side, how should these be handled?

Hope I don't come off looking all too stupid with my questions, I only hope to learn from people with far more experience than me.

Attached Files
File Type: 7z VIDEO0001.7z (949.6 KB, 11 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-22-2021, 10:56 AM
Free Member

In this thread sanlyn explains everything

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-zip-file.html
06-10-2021, 02:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I don't suggest Avisynth+ 32-bit, but instead of the official version. Only + for 64. Too many glitchy filters trying to force more RAM and MT.

I actually do not color correct Avisynth, instead using VirtualDub's ColorMill for semi-basic color fixes, and Premiere Pro for more advanced needs.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs