Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-28-2024, 06:18 AM
Free Member

My workflow is:

JVC HR S8600->Datavideo 1000 TBC->Tevion ATI 600 USB

What may exactly be the best options in Virtualdub in the "Capture Timing options" window to get the right audio sync? Sorry if this probably have been asked before but I still feel a bit confused what settings I should use, these are the settings I have right now:

settings.png

Anything I should change?

And also, do I need to plug in the audio through the TBC for the sync? Or can I hook it up directly to the USB capture device and bypass the TBC? Will there be any difference hooking it up directly VS through the TBC? Just wondering cus will make my setup less cluttered if I can just use one RCA stereo audio cable instead of two.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-28-2024, 03:11 PM
Free Member

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...-settings.html

The audio needs to go from your VCR to your capture card. Never through your TBC. Only when using a pannasonic dmr es 15 or some kind of frame sync should you run your audio through it instead running it from your VCR to your card.

Last edited by Gary34; 04-28-2024 at 04:00 PM.
04-29-2024, 08:42 AM
Free Member

Okay thanks! I hook the audio up directly then! And guess I have the settings right looking at that post there, except that "force audio clock" thing so I unckecked that. But hm, I still seem to have some sync issues, like just a constant sync issue, not cus of dropped frames and such, I did capture a tape with Virtualdub, and then I captured the same tape with my JVC DVD recorder, and imported the two captures with a video editing program, and I can see the audio captured with Virtual dub has like a 5 frame delay comprared to the JVC DVD capture, and it's a bit noticable when just playing the Virtualdub file and looking at it too, the mouth movements don't sync up for example, any ideas what I may do wrong?
04-29-2024, 08:50 AM
Free Member

We had a thread that was kind of similar a little while ago. https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...g-default.html
04-29-2024, 09:22 AM
Free Member

Hm wait still a bit unsure what I need to do? sorry! I use Windows 7 btw if that helps.
04-29-2024, 10:27 AM
Free Member

On the forum go to guides, then digital video guides, then capture AVI with an ATI All-In-Womder card, then ATI hacks from our forum, then click on if you’re using the ATI 600 series card and they might have some information for you.
04-29-2024, 11:53 AM
Free Member

Don't seem to find the exact issue I got, cus seems to be consistent and already 5 frames out of sync right at the start. But hm yeah, I try to copy a complete 4 hour tape now and see if it goes more badly out of sync at the end or something or if it is consistent and about 5 frames wrong all the time.
04-29-2024, 11:55 AM
Free Member

I just thought about it and this is an ATI 600 USB clone. It may not be the same as far as some of the hacks since it’s a clone and not a rebadge. I was trying to help but I’m kind of new myself so maybe it would be a good idea to wait for someone else’s input on this one. I’m not sure on this one.
The following users thank Gary34 for this useful post: denfin (04-29-2024)
04-29-2024, 12:42 PM
Free Member

You would be more likely to get help with this if the title was Vdub timing settings Tevion (ATI 600 clone) or something like that. Then add some tags. It would also be easier for other people having the same issue to find later.
04-29-2024, 04:33 PM
Free Member

Aha yeah, but not sure I can see an option to edit the title? But I copied a whole 4 hour tape now to test, and it is like about 5 frames audio delay through the whole tape it seems, cus I had a look near the end and it was the same delay, so it's consistent at least. Guess I can just move the audio 5 frames afterwards, but yeah just kinda annoying to have to do an extra step. And also, what does the Sync "Current error" thing mean at the bottom? You can see in the screenshot, it goes up and down a little bit all the time I noticed, is that normal? I did have 0 frame drop and inserts on the whole 4 hour tape at least, so the TBC is doing it's thing tho it seems. sync current error.jpg

04-29-2024, 05:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
+/- few ms is normal. Nothing is perfect 0, not even the audio as stored on the tape.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: denfin (04-29-2024)
04-29-2024, 06:04 PM
Free Member

Okay thanks, good to know that at least!
05-01-2024, 11:36 AM
Free Member

Thank you for asking this - I have the same issue and I would love to know some other way to make everything align more smoothly.

My solution is not practical: After rendering to mp4 with trim settings you're happy with, drop the file into Audacity (after enabling the FFmpeg import/export library). In Audacity, apply some noise reduction or any other audio corrections before saving it as a FLAC file. Then, I have to render the project again in VirtualDub2 with the same settings except select "Audio from another file" and choose the FLAC that was just created. As long as the trim or length of the audio file are unaltered, it should have the same length as before.

Then (the part I absolutely hate the most) go into the project code (I use avisynth code) or whatever controls the trim settings and adjust the first frame so that the rest of the video aligns with the audio. Usually I have to cut out the first 3-5 frames, save, and drop the project file it into VirtualDub2. I have to watch it in a few different spots until the sync looks about the same as the original (or in many cases, closer than the original). I'm always guessing with this and usually have to re-adjust the first frame and re-save the project file several times before I'm happy with the sync. I honestly hate it and imo it's the single most tedious thing about this process - especially since I have not yet figured out a way to accurately recognize how many frames separate the video/audio. (Toggling between the images of the flac audio and the original audio makes no difference because its sync was wrong to begin with.)

And once that's done "save video" again with the same file name replacing the previous mp4.
05-01-2024, 11:55 AM
Free Member

Avisynth lets you DelayAudio with negative numbers, so once you measure the audio delay of your TBC, you can add one line into your scripts. How to measure it:
  1. From the VCR, connect one audio channel to the TBC and then from the TBC to the capture card.
  2. Connect the other channel directly to the capture card.
  3. Capture a short scene that contains a sharp noise (to assist in aligning the channels).
  4. Export the audio to Audacity.
  5. Measure the time difference of that sharp noise between the two channels.
  6. Reconnect both channels directly into the capture card.
  7. Add the DelayAudio line into your Avisynth scripts after AviSource() but before Trim().

Then just export the audio as normal, do your corrections (I always normalize the audio) and then remux the audio back into the video (I use MkvToolNix GUI).
The following users thank traal for this useful post: malfc (05-03-2024)
05-01-2024, 11:59 AM
Free Member

When the TBC has no audio input/output I think you just have to guess.

It also doesn't account for different tapes often sync'ing in their own special ways but I guess that's a different issue.

I have a feeling there's a more efficient way to handle this issue than the solution I posted earlier so feel free to help me on this.

I also have a follow-up issue:

I use these exact timing settings except I don't select "Force audio clock when playback is enabled." And my most recent dub acted very differently from ones I've done in the past. It's a 6-hour tape - once it's done, I noticed the sync is still fluctuating throughout. It starts very slightly delayed - about 0.1 seconds, moves into an aligned sync in the 2nd hour, then hastened between 0.1 and 0.2 seconds until the final hour of the tape. Then it's correctly aligned again for about 10 minutes before getting delayed more and more throughout the last hour - 0.2 seconds, 0.5 seconds, 0.7 seconds - by the end of the tape, the delay exceeds a full second. This has never happened before and I'm not sure what I did wrong.

My understanding is that the audio should be adjusted throughout so that the timing stays aligned. Is there another reason why this would happen?

Last edited by malfc; 05-01-2024 at 12:29 PM.
05-03-2024, 11:31 AM
Free Member

what does the Sync "Current error" thing mean at the bottom?

I noticed this a day or 2 ago. I'm somewhat guessing, but I think when you select "sync audio to video by resampling the audio to a faster or slower rate" - the "sync" box says how much virtualdub has slowed down or sped up the audio in that section. In a tape I dubbed yesterday, it looked like the current error number was farther from zero in the first 45 seconds and during abrupt transitions (hitting the pause button during taping or between different broadcasts) when it's more likely to display noise. And eventually it adjusts back to zero.

Add the DelayAudio line into your Avisynth scripts after AviSource() but before Trim().
This helped a lot. thank you!

Last edited by malfc; 05-03-2024 at 11:41 AM.
05-03-2024, 05:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,471 Times in 2,101 Posts
Current error = any offset, any desync of audio from video. You really will not notice issues until about 100-200ms, so 1-5ms if literally nothing to worry about. You need to understand that the audio and video on the analog videotape is not perfect either.

The problem with speeding up/down audio is that dropped frames are glossed over. The audio sssslllooooowwwwwsss ddddoooowwwwn -- R SDS P (or speeds up) --- without any indication. You make more problems than just letting it drop or have tiny ms offset. Not worth it.

There are a lot of VirtualDub "options" that should not be user-accessible.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs