Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-10-2019, 11:42 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

I picked up a Sony EDV-7500 Beta deck and would like to have it checked out by a knowledgeable tech to be sure it's delivering peak performance. After a great experience with TGP Sales earlier this year, you might say I'm looking for the Tom Grant of EDV-7500 Beta machines.

Other than MisterBetamax, is there anyone else to consider in 2019 in the US?

I've read some feedback about ClassicVcrs in Texas but those comments were years ago.

Does anyone have a recent Beta service experience to share?

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-11-2019, 12:42 AM
Free Member

Shipping is the problem, Those decks are heavy and round trip shipping may cost over $200, with the service it will be close to $500, I personally worked on the exact same model that I own and working on those is not fun, it takes hours and hours to do a proper repair job unless you want a $200 sloppy lube job, If it is working with no problems I would say leave it alone, Just learn how to do basic cleaning and lubrication of moving parts and save the cash.
11-11-2019, 11:21 AM
Premium Member

*SIGH* Memories of my beloved Betamax days.

Contact Deter as he stated in this thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/mark...x-players.html he's repaired a couple of Betamax machines. Note that he states parts are sparse.

Also, would be great if the two of you could post your opinions about any Betamax machines you may have to that thread. A few years ago when I moved, I donated Betamax my collection to Goodwill, including two EDV-7500's and a SL-HF2100 because I had to seriously downsize and I hadn't used them in years. *Double SIGH*

Yeah, the EDV-7500 was built like a rock and almost as heavy!
11-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Premium Member

Shipping is not necessarily a problem in this case... the deck must be shipped to me, so it will simply take a detour to a service shop along the way.

Likewise, I am not a knowledgeable tech. I don't mind paying someone who is knowledgeable to take a look and either give the machine a clean bill of health or address any issues here and now.

Has anyone worked with MisterBetamax or ClassicVcrs? Your feedback is kindly welcomed.

Once the deck has arrived, I can perform basic cleaning and lubrication. latreche34, is there a resource you recommend with tips for Beta cleaning, preventive maintenance, etc?
11-11-2019, 12:39 PM
Free Member

The post office or Fedex doesn't bill it that way

Just watch the youtube channel 12voltvids.
11-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Just watch the youtube channel 12voltvids.
Wow, 12voltvids is a vast resource of great videos. Thanks!
01-18-2020, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE - I did have the Sony EDV-7500 shipped to MisterBetamax and I received the deck from him at the end of November. Sorry for the delay with this update. :-)

I'm glad I had MisterBetamax service this unit. In addition to his standard reconditioning, he also repaired a couple of drive gears and repaired the guide pin of the loader. He was very detailed in his email communications and was quick to provide updates along the way. In short, if you need someone to service a beta deck, I was pleased with his service.

By the way, shipping costs were $79 one way.

I also contacted ClassicVcrs in Texas and received a friendly reply from him. In the end, I chose to go with MisterBetamax because he was able to service the deck immediately. ClassicVcrs does seem like a reputable source though. I would consider using ClassicVcrs in the future if a need arose.

And to follow up regarding lingyi's question, sorry, I'm not familiar with other beta decks. I only picked up the Sony EDV-7500 to transfer some tapes after seeing the model rated highly in this forum. Thanks to everyone who provided betamax feedback here over the years!
The following users thank captainvic for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-22-2020), msgohan (01-20-2020)
01-18-2020, 08:25 PM
Premium Member

Glad to hear you got great service and a great (IMO, best) Betamax.

I recommend posting your impressions of it on this recent thread: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...-digital8.html even though it's your only Betamax.

@latreche34 - It would be great if you could post your thoughts too as there are apparently few Beta users on this forum and my memories are almost 20 years old.
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: lordsmurf (01-22-2020)
01-22-2020, 11:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Yep, Mr.Betamax has always had a solid reputation, the TGrant (the Mr.Panasonic) of Betamax. He's been around for a long, long time now. I would not at all hesitate to send him a deck for repair, if I ever needed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs