Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-09-2023, 07:30 PM
Free Member

Greetings,
I recently picked up a DataVideo DVK-100 (Rev G) to use as a pseudo/partial TBC in my VHS capture chain. At the recommendation of prior threads, I unplugged the fan, but now the framebuffer memory chips and especially the main IC are running uncomfortably warm. Has anyone tried adding heatsinks to these chips, kinda like these ones? While it'll still be relying on convection currents to cool it, I'm wondering if a bit more thermal mass would help.

I can't find a datasheet for the big IC, but the framebuffer memory is only rated for 85ºC, which is far too low for me to feel comfortable just letting it sit without some sort of enhanced cooling.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-10-2023, 03:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Some of these units are simply not suggested (on borrowed time, late stage heat damage), and is why they cost nothing. That's why prices range from about $100 to about $1000. You got this from GA, right?

The fan provided zero airflow, and in fact trapped dust against certain chips on the DVKs (ie, cause of accrued heat damage).

You can stave off loss by opening the unit, or even custom venting it. DataVideo's chips all run hot, always have, on all units. Heatsinks at this late date won't do much, but can at least prevent further damage. Any small heatsink would work, just remember to remove any stickers and residue.

Something like this: https://amzn.to/3Ywqa00 (measure your chips to verify, but that should fit)

You really need to fully dismantle the unit, to clean under the board. Very often, you'll see accrued discoloring/scorching on the underside. Then you can fully clean the chips, the boards, the cases. I'd not suggest applying any heatsink without first doing this thorough cleaning job.

Otherwise you'll just run it into the ground in a short time. Odds are this was sitting unused in a warehouse for years, no maintenance when it was used.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-10-2023, 04:49 PM
Free Member

I picked up one of the $50 ebay DVK's as well. It had a pretty obviously bad cap, so I swapped that out. Didn't see any evidence of prior heat damage on the board. Haven't really played around with it much otherwise yet though. Have you noticed it helping the capture in terms of dropped frames in your setup? What is your full device chain?

I hadn't really thought to add ventilation, but why not just throw an 80mm or 120mm PC fan on top blowing air directly down on the mainboard along with your heatsinks? I can't imagine that the chips will be able to get 10 degrees warmer than ambient temp if you do that, possibly even without the heatsinks. I think the idea is also that you'd power the PC fans with a separate power supply so as not to add "fan noise" to the video signals that can happen if the power supply is shared.
08-11-2023, 01:09 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
I picked up one of the $50 ebay DVK's as well. It had a pretty obviously bad cap, so I swapped that out. Didn't see any evidence of prior heat damage on the board. Haven't really played around with it much otherwise yet though. Have you noticed it helping the capture in terms of dropped frames in your setup? What is your full device chain?

I hadn't really thought to add ventilation, but why not just throw an 80mm or 120mm PC fan on top blowing air directly down on the mainboard along with your heatsinks? I can't imagine that the chips will be able to get 10 degrees warmer than ambient temp if you do that, possibly even without the heatsinks. I think the idea is also that you'd power the PC fans with a separate power supply so as not to add "fan noise" to the video signals that can happen if the power supply is shared.
Ah, apologies for not mentioning the entire chain. Full setup is JVC SR-MV45 -> DataVideo DVK-100 -> Pinnacle 700-USB -> Computer

I also have a Toshiba RD-XS32SU I’ve occasionally included in the chain for some particularly bad tapes, but that thing is a headache on its own, and not really relevant to the topic at hand.

While I wasn’t getting any dropped frames before (apparently due to some sort of voodoo from the Pinnacle box), I was getting inserted frames. Normally it’d be about 5-6 every hour, but on a few tapes it would jump as high as 100. I spent hours fiddling with VirtualDub settings, capture drives, and even operating systems, before coming to the conclusion that it was probably timing errors a better/additional TBC (or TBC-like device) could help fix. With the DataVideo in the chain, I’m no longer inserting any frames, but I haven’t been able to throw any really challenging tapes at it yet.

In terms of additional ventilation, I actually had some ideas about that. From my limited understanding, interference from fans usually either comes from induced EMI or fluctuations in the power rails. If it’s the former, some internal shielding and an inline capacitor may smooth it out. If it’s the later, I’m curious if just wiring the fan directly after the power switch with a flyback diode, and then using a higher quality 12V power brick may do the trick. The fan’s already running non-stop when the unit’s on, so why not just bypass the PCB itself and just leech off the same power brick?

Granted, the included 30mm fan is a horrible, whiny little thing, so the far easier solution may just be zip-tying a 40mm Noctua fan to the back and running it off it’s own 12V supply.

I’m almost certainly overthinking all this, but I just feel this is a solvable problem. DataVideo’s stuff clearly isn’t the most well made, and they’re not making any more of it, so while it may “just” be a $50 box now, I’d rather take extra precautions now than have it die in 5 years when prices have jumped to $300 or whatever.

Last edited by v__i; 08-11-2023 at 01:28 AM.
08-11-2023, 03:23 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
That DVK does contain a weak frame TBC, so it'll crumple at any thing truly challenging. Remember, these types of "also has" TBCs are there to help itself, not you, not your external tapes. If it works, great. But sometimes it won't work at all. In some fringe cases, actually make matters worse. It's budget, not a true TBC, but TBC(ish). You got what you paid for, no more, no less.

Correct, the buzzy stock fan injects noise to the video. And this is why some of the modding gets tricky, if you have to leave a ghost of a fan intact for it to function.

Tiny fans are less useful than just opening the case and putting it underneath a ceiling fan or $10 house fan from Walmart. If house, turn it on when you're done with setup, and just walk away like normal. (Monitor captures every 5-10 minutes, quick glance at everything, hardware and software.) I have several rare TBC-100 PCI cards, and those get way too hot. I have a house fan aimed at the front mesh of the PC case, and removed unused brackets at back. Lots of airflow on my main AIW capture system. The fan is extremely quiet, and I don't like 100% quiet anyway (unless doing audio work).

Pinnacle 700 is not a recommended card.

When you have budget gear, non-suggested gear, you have to screw around a lot more to get it working in any capacity. You save dollars, but spend time. That's the rule, no way around it. And even then, it's not the same as the better quality gear.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-11-2023, 06:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Pinnacle 700 is not a recommended card.
I do plan on replacing that at some point with either a GV-USB2 or a ATI 600. I don’t have space for a desktop, so I unfortunately have to make do with something external. I was previously using a Diamond VC500 (I know, not great, learned my lesson there), but it randomly died one day, the Pinnacle was $5 at my local junk store, and I’d remembered the 710 was at least somewhat recommended, so I thought it couldn’t hurt to try a box that in theory is identical inside (yeah, I know it doesn’t work like that, but my time is worthless, and I’m more than willing to fiddle with a box for 6 hours to save a few bucks).