03-22-2021, 07:27 PM
Free Member

All of a sudden it's started doing this on the odd tape, it's ok for ages then this just happened wait till 11 seconds then the tape is blank anyway then it starts up again perfectly fine. I have tested the tape in another Panny and it works perfectly fine.

Also noticed this last week or so it's squealing a bit when inserting a tape and grabbing the tape on the way out, could this be a dirty sensor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp1WcNwVnrw
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-24-2021, 02:16 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
At first, I would have guessed a caps issue in the TBC card. Typical.

But with squealing, it may be something not moving correctly, and the tape path speed is wrong.
Dirty sensor? Maybe.
But my guess would be with gears or motors.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-24-2021, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Thanks for replying lordsmurf, and sorry for the shabby explanation was in a rush.

It was working perfectly fine but I hadn't used it for a few weeks, shoved a tape in it wasn't making any noise with the 1st tape so I started recording it. On watching the recording on my liteon I noticed a few lines on the picture, so put the tape back in it seemed fine just a slightly poorer picture than usual so I tried the tape on another machine and it was perfectly fine.

I put another tape in right away this tape squealed but I knew it was fine though as you can see something is wrong I tested this tape in another machine it's fine. The tape got caught on its way out this is why I thought could that issue be a sensor issue. I don't know anyone in the UK who can have a look at this for me so it looks like I will have 2 NV-FS200S collecting dust until I find someone.

-- merged --

I've just given it a good cleaning, tried many tapes and the machine didn't squeal once put the problematic one back in and squealed like straight away, though I the picture still looks a bit off can't see much difference at all with TBC on or off I will do some recordings later and put them up to show you.

-- merged --

Sorry for all these post I don't have permission to edit.

Right further investigation into this, I changed my Lite-on recorder from a 740GX this drive got firmware flashed a few weeks ago with help from bithead9 over at videohelp regarding the bigger hard drive flash. I have removed the SSD and gone back to a IDE drive that to to make sure it wasn't the sata drive causing any issues. A strange one happened here though I put the IDE drive in flashed the device again with the same firmware bithead9 sent me (contained MV removal) and now it won't let me record copy protected videos, videos I have recorded before on this device.

I change the 740GX to a 760GX and it let me record it straight away plus the picture from the vcr looks much better, using all the same cables going via s-video.

Could a firmware flash that's been corrupted somehow have caused the picture issues in the video shown! I am still recording the problematic video now and it looks fine, will wait see if it plays fine all the way to the end.
03-24-2021, 07:06 PM
Site Staff | Video

What exactly did you clean?

Could this have actually been on the ingest side, and not the VCR? Possible.
Could bad firmware cause such changes? Yes.
Could "bad" firmware actually just be good firmware that flashed badly? Yes.

03-24-2021, 07:21 PM
Free Member

Thanks for merging them all I didn't want to post again until someone replied.

It didn't work, it did the same thing at the exact same time it's only this tape that's causing problems.

I only cleaned the tape wheel pulley, playback head and the head drum, I couldn't have damaged the drum before you ask, because this issue was happening before I cleaned it.

I'm going to try something with the tape tomorrow, I will take it out of its casing and put the reels inside another casing because there is too much movement with the tape reels inside this case.
03-24-2021, 07:30 PM
Site Staff | Video

It's tedious, but I've had to re-reel tapes before. Ugh.

03-25-2021, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Well I opened the case, I can see why it's causing problems.

The plastic on top of the left hand reel had snapped off never had this before, suppose glueing it back on might fix the problem.
03-29-2021, 03:43 PM
Free Member

Well I glued it back on left it for several days, tried the tape again but it snapped off after about 5 mins. I'm not even attempting to put this tape onto different reels might as well just see if I can get it on DVD.