Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-30-2021, 02:00 PM
Free Member

Hi. New to this forum. I have a Pioneer Elite and a Denon Blu Ray Player that are having a very similay issue. The tray will not open unless there is a disc in the tray. Kinda strange behavior. I have taken the cover off of each and find that if I push down a little on the top of the tray while it is trying to open, they both open. I then put a disc in, and they open and close with no issues. Any ideas as to what causes this and what a fix might be? I'm thinking it's the gears that open the tray that need greasing but not sure.
Thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-31-2021, 10:17 AM
Free Member

Does the empty tray start to move and stop after a little bit of motion, or does it not even try to start o move? Perhaps a motor tries to start and stalls.

When you push down on the tray is there any noticeable downward movement of the tray (not in the opening direction)?

Is this a changer, or a single disc player?

You could try carefully clean then lube the gears and the track/slides, and look for any binding points or burrs that might impede opening.

If it fails to even try to start to open look for a sensor. Also, check all ribbon cable connections and perhaps clean the contacts. I've seen strange behavior on DVD players (and other gear such as even dishwashers ) that was traced to corroded ribbon cable contacts.
10-31-2021, 06:02 PM
Free Member

It definitely tries to open but just doesn't quite. I lubed the gears the best I could (they're hard to access) and it seems to be working now. We'll see if it continues to work.