08-16-2022, 05:04 PM
Free Member

I have the following cards, all bought new back in 2004 onwards, showing signs of problems:

9600 AIW. Video side works 100% but anything to do with the rage theatre chip is no go!
has persistent code 10 on the wdm drivers! the card appears to be physically ok?

9600 AIW from cold it will artifact/gfx glitch all over the shop. ATI tool's artifact scanner starts out as a complete and total mess, but as the card heats up all the glitches will go away! everything works after that.MMC TV capture works. All the artifacting problems return when the card cools down.

9800 PRO AIW. Totally stone dead! From a quick look, the power plug looks burnt! I assume it has failed outright.

Can any of these be repaired? is there anyone that can attempt a repair?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-17-2022, 04:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
The hardware is almost 20 years old. Stuff happens. Misuse, bad storage, mishandling, moronic shipping.

I have three failed cards myself. I would bet all or most can be fixed. But I don't have time for that. My issues are garbled output or no output. A cap sheered off one. No idea what happened to the others. I thought about listing in the marketplace, parts gear. I have a lot of parts gear, and I'm losing interest in these deep-dive refurbs, takes too long. It's one degree away from e-waste. If you have time, and the solder/testing skills, go for it, revive some gear.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-17-2022, 11:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
The hardware is almost 20 years old. Stuff happens. Misuse, bad storage, mishandling, moronic shipping.

I have three failed cards myself. I would bet all or most can be fixed. But I don't have time for that. My issues are garbled output or no output. A cap sheered off one. No idea what happened to the others. I thought about listing in the marketplace, parts gear. I have a lot of parts gear, and I'm losing interest in these deep-dive refurbs, takes too long. It's one degree away from e-waste. If you have time, and the solder/testing skills, go for it, revive some gear.
Pretty much where I am at with all of this! I am finding myself re-learning such basic things.

Somehow and I do not know how! the 9600 that shows garbled video seems to be settling down? no idea why. All I did was blast it with compressed air, gave it a good clean although it was not that bad at all. It has been handled well as I never mistreat my stuff. I have it recording, it seems to be behaving (touch wood). I am going to run with it and get stuff recorded asap before it really does snuff it

I managed to repair an 9800PRO All in wonder by stealing the fan from a dead 9800SE aiw card! I have that one working on an old SN41G2 shuttle but it keeps complaining about DMA not being enabled. It has been so long since I even attempted to use an old amd shuttle, I have forgotten what I did and didnt do when setting these things up

I assume there is zero tech docs about these cards?
08-17-2022, 12:34 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by altairst8te1974 View Post
Pretty much where I am at with all of this! I am finding myself re-learning such basic things.

Somehow and I do not know how! the 9600 that shows garbled video seems to be settling down? no idea why. All I did was blast it with compressed air, gave it a good clean although it was not that bad at all. It has been handled well as I never mistreat my stuff. I have it recording, it seems to be behaving (touch wood). I am going to run with it and get stuff recorded asap before it really does snuff it

I managed to repair an 9800PRO All in wonder by stealing the fan from a dead 9800SE aiw card! I have that one working on an old SN41G2 shuttle but it keeps complaining about DMA not being enabled. It has been so long since I even attempted to use an old amd shuttle, I have forgotten what I did and didnt do when setting these things up

It could be a host of things, but if it's a hardware issue and it's improved it could simply be that a capacitor has reformed through various attempts to use the card. Unless of course, you had some conductive debris on the broad which has now been cleaned off.

It is, most likely the beginning of the end for the component. Passive and extraneous components on these cards (and similar) can be repaired, anything involving ICs whilst not impossible in the strictest definition of the word, well, it'll be very tricky.

Use it for a bit, if it behaves and does what you need it to do for the time being I wouldn't worry too much.

Just one more tip, unless you've got a compressor with a known good dryer, trap etc I would caution against using home compressed air for cleaning electronics as there's a not insignificant risk you may blow an aliquot (or a few!) of water in to tricky to dry places. It's one of those things you'll get away with until you don't.

Ideally, you should use a canned 'air duster' or similar for cleaning electronics by using pressurised gas.

Last edited by RobustReviews; 08-17-2022 at 12:51 PM.
08-18-2022, 04:51 AM
Free Member

Canned air is what I used but I have always been aware it can create moisture! Never really liked those air cans because of it.

I managed to fix one card by doing nothing more than washing it, then smothering it in iso alcohol and allowing it to evaporate.

I will more than likely keep plodding along until the card dies outright! I do have access to proper equipment for electronics repair. My son also works repairing phones and he is very good at lifting & replacing all sorts of micro sized components. Eventually I will be at a point where I will have nothing to loose but time!

The card with the persistent code 10, the rage 200 chip on it that does not look good! all of the pins appear as if flux was left behind and has discoloured? it even reminds me of leaking capacitors rotting/dulling solder pads.

I am tempted to try a re-cap and a re-flow on it. I am also toying with the idea of doing a youtube video of the whole thing. It may work out and help others
08-18-2022, 05:02 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Not hat ATI was ever transparent, but whatever did exist was buried by AMD 15+ years ago. They destroyed ATI, and scrubbed it from existence. If not for AIW capture cards, nobody would remember ATI anymore. It was ATI vs. Nvidia, and now just Nvidia (the real winner of the AMD-ATI deal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
It is, most likely the beginning of the end for the component.
Nah, I doubt it. ATI AIW cards were robust. The more likely issue is simple caps, but even that's unlikely. Stuff usually just came lose, got nasty. Any damage is from dropping, careless handling, components melting in hot storage, etc. Obvious things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustReviews View Post
Ideally, you should use a canned 'air duster' or similar for cleaning electronics by using pressurised gas.
I once cleaned a VCR with a leaf blower. It was for amusement, testing, hypothesis.

Quote:
I will more than likely keep plodding along until the card dies outright!
Those cards outlast computers, and probably even us in some decades. The problem will be AGP and PCI boards more than anything else, and it's already not great. Sort of like players (lasers) not existing for optical media in 50-100 years (the suggested longevity of opticals).

Quote:
I am tempted to try a re-cap and a re-flow on it. I am also toying with the idea of doing a youtube video of the whole thing. It may work out and help others
Do it.

... and post here about it as well.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs