Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-29-2023, 04:29 PM
Free Member

First digitalfaq post, first decent quality VCR, practically a VHS transfer virgin!

So I recently picked up a JVC HR-S7800U on Ebay (yes, I failed to heed the warnings of this site, please forgive me) for $150 after tax with free shipping (I think I got lucky because the model number was malformed in the listing, and I only found it through the "related items"). I have read numerous posts about VHS transfer on this site, including recommended VCRs, the need for a frame TBC (working on acquiring one) etc. I chose this model BECAUSE it doesn't have the dynamic drum system (which sounds like a great feature, but prone to breakage with little to no replacement parts available). So it was down to hunting for a HR-S7800, HR-S7900, HR-S9911U, SR-V10U or SR-V101US.

Anyway, it arrived yesterday and I just tried to use it today. When I first plug it in, it flashes "Auto" for a little bit then that goes away. I went to load a tape, and once I pushed in the tape to where the front of the tape was flush with the front of the VCR I could hear things happening, but it wasn't pulling the tape in. Then it stopped trying and started flashing "Auto" again. Tape easily comes out, as it didn't load far enough in for the tape to be pulled into the transport mechanism.

I am hoping someone can point me in the direction of a forum, site, etc that is like a VCR 101 course. Something that outlines the basic components, what they generally look like, and their function etc. I mean, I know what the VCR head is, what it does, and how it looks. But I don't know the terminology for different parts of the transport system etc. I want to familiarize myself with the lingo before attempting to ask questions on the forum here. I have a LOT of experience tinkering with electronics and fixing things in general. Given the pictures of it working before it was shipped, I am thinking something got jostled in shipping and it will be a relatively simple fix (fingers crossed).
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2023, 06:31 PM
Free Member

It appears it may have been damaged in shipping, as there is a good sized dent in the side of the metal casing that doesn't appear in the listing photos. There was plenty of bubble wrap going around the unit, but less protecting the sides, and it was sent with a VHS tape resting next to where the dent was on the side of the unit. A good drop on the side could have caused that in shipment.

In any case, I decided to open the unit up and look inside to see what happens when trying to load a tape. I noticed that there was a pulley leaning, that looked like it shouldn't be leaning. I didn't get a before picture, but I got an after picture once the pulley popped back into it's guide on the right of it.

20230129_132128.jpg

Once that pulley was back in place, I plugged it back in and now it loads a tape just fine. So far it seems to play, ff, rew, stop, eject and load again. I noticed on the one old tape I tried, the TBC/DNR turned on seemed to cause tearing at the top of the frame which went away when turned off. But many tapes to test and stuff to read before I have intelligent questions about that.

The only other oddity I saw with the quick peek of the unit insides was one spring that appears "odd/wrong" to me. It appears that this spring is a non oem replacement, jerry rigged to provide the intended tension. Does that seem accurate?

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Since it appears that it doesn't protrude far enough to interfere with the tape, should I leave it alone? Should I try to find a suitable replacement? If so, I have no idea what the names of any of these components are (hence my request in my original post for a "vcr 101" type resource).

01-29-2023, 07:36 PM
Free Member

The spring came like that from the factory, I've seen it across a lot of models including mine S7600AM, Not sure why they haven't settled on a length and put a hook at the end of it but they never did. I took one of my VCR's out and twisted one of the coils to be used as a hook and cut the excess but you don't have to, it only changes the esthetics.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
The following users thank latreche34 for this useful post: mistateo (01-29-2023)
01-29-2023, 11:23 PM
Free Member

Good to know, thank you. Think I will leave it the way it is then.

Tags
hr-s7800u, jvc vcr, tape loading, tape transport, vcr repair