10-14-2022, 09:33 PM
Free Member

Hello.
My Sony SLV-SE810 have a weird problem that sometimes when I want to use it, the screen says "Error 71501"
all the mechanism don't work and the tape cant be inserted.
After power it off and on toons of times, it starts to work.
Seems also, that the mechanisms sounds a little bit "hard" and like "can't start the mechanism".

When the tape can be inserted, the VCR works like a charm . great sound quality and good image.

I have recorded two videos to show it .
Thanks in advice!

Attached Files
File Type: mov Sony SLV 810.mov (12.07 MB, 13 downloads)
File Type: mp4 Weird Sound.mp4 (3.77 MB, 5 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

10-15-2022, 08:35 AM
Free Member

Would maybe check if the mechanism is well-lubricated or if there are parts that are sticking a bit, can be useful to take the mech out and load/unload manually to see where it's struggling. Does it rewind/fast forward normally?

On the previous generation (the SLV-SEx00 decks) there are some power supply capacitors that go bad, but idk if that's an issue on this latest lineup of Sonys. (The later Sonys are all samsungs).

Also see the notes on the related sony decks in the attached doc which may or may not help. (Not sure where this list is originally from but it's uploaded on a site or two that are a bit clunky to access.)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf PROBLEMS.pdf (694.6 KB, 14 downloads)
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: srmusico (10-17-2022)
10-17-2022, 04:35 PM
Free Member

Yes, the problem comes when the tape is inserted. After, if you can get it inserted, the VCR works perfectly.
it does the Rewind/fast forward normally and also the auto tracking.
10-17-2022, 06:59 PM
Free Member

Stumbled upon this when looking for some info on my SE800, suggests that it could be something with the reels, possibly dirty reel sensors.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: srmusico (11-15-2022)
11-15-2022, 08:01 PM
Free Member

Well, i have been trying to clean everything but isn't really dirty.
Maybe is time to ask a professional technician for help jaja.

I Have two questions about these Sony VCR.

What are the main differences from SLV SE810 and SLV SE610? (I have also a 610 model)
The main use of my SE810 is because have a great HiFI audio track playback and is great to capture.
Is there any difference between these two VCR's in terms of HiFi audio?
Also, is there any real dis disadvantage of capture HiFi Audio directly from the Scart of the SE610? Because this model have HiFi but not independent RCA connectors. (could use a Scart to RCA adapter)

Thanks for the help
11-16-2022, 05:47 AM
Free Member

The differences are in the number of inputs/outputs, and the controls mainly it seems. The 810 e.g has the wheel on the front for seeking, and the dial timer knob for quickly setting up recordings. The mechanism and playback circuitry is all the same between those two and the other models listed in the linked service manual. On the older variants only the top models had the reality regenerator (smart sharpening) feature but on this last lineup it seems all of them did, not that I've found it to work all that well on the SE800 at least.

The audio outputs on the scart socket should be the same. I think the separate audio outs on VCRs were mainly for e.g hooking up to a stereo system separate from the TV.

The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: srmusico (11-16-2022)
11-16-2022, 12:08 PM
Free Member

Okey! Great to hear it ! Thanks you so much.

One last question, about VCR's. What are the best models to just capture the HiFi audio of a tape?
Lordsmurf have done his famous list and is awesome , but im not sure if all that VCR are the best to just capture audio.

I have found differences in the HiFI tracks in my collection of VCR's. Supposedly a HiFi track should sound exactly the same in all HiFi devices, no?
The main differences between that captures (done with High end audio converters) are principally Noise and EQ.

Thanks for share your experience
11-17-2022, 05:22 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmusico View Post
...Supposedly a HiFi track should sound exactly the same in all HiFi devices, no?..
No. This isn't digital audio, after all; so the processing circuitry and output stages DO make a difference, down to component level (higher-end JVCs explicitly used "audiophile-grade" capacitors, for example).

And that difference can be a big one (generally in terms of clarity and/or soundstage). You CAN find that each brand/model imprints its own "character" to the final outputted sound.

Also —and perhaps more importantly— the ability/capacity/range of each VCR to track each tape well matters, especially to avoid/reduce the switching noise inherent to the format... and even to make the Hi-Fi track usable at all!

Last edited by Tester; 11-17-2022 at 06:20 AM.
11-17-2022, 05:41 AM
Free Member

The previous gen sony (SE_00) also has some of these fancy nichicon fine gold audio capacitors in the audio circuit, maybe the SE_10 ones to too idk. . For the JVC decks I know "high grade audio parts" which in the parts lists seem to be different part no capacitors is one of the differences between the HR-S8600E_ and HR-S9600E_ models, the S8600 I have don't have any special audio ones from what I remember, idk what they used in the S9600. I don't know how much difference these "audio grade" capacitors actually make in practice though or if it's more marketing/audiophile fluff.

The circuitry and tracking will have some impact otherwise though yeah as noted.

The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: srmusico (11-23-2022)
11-17-2022, 06:33 AM
Free Member

EQ and companding ARE at play in every Hi-Fi VCR. By design/specification. That's for sure.

All I can say from experience is I DO hear a difference between brands playing the same tape... and even between different JVC series...

...with "audophile-graded" units not always sounding the best (subjectively)! Even when tracking perfectly, and with no discernible switching noise, their sound tends to be a bit less "open". Not muffled or anything, but kinda flatter, less "airy"... Maybe that is closer to what is raw on tape, hence "audiophile"...?
The following users thank Tester for this useful post: srmusico (11-23-2022)