Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-22-2022, 08:57 PM
Free Member

Once I learned fully proper alignment***, the K Mechanism on my AG-5710 works nicely in manual (turn the gear with my fingers) mode.

I only have three issues. One I am pretty sure I understand. The other two, not so much:

1) Once I've got a tape in play mode, when I go to eject, the arms withdraw but the tape takes forever to retract. I assume that's an issue of worn brakes in some way. After #2 and #3 are solved I can go check that.

2) When inserting a tape (junk tape for now!), the cartridge does not go all the way down by itself. I must press on it to get the last 1/4" of drop. It doesn't resist me... just doesn't go down. WHY?

3) When ejecting, as noted in #1 it takes a while for the tape to fully retract. But then: it NEVER ejects. In fact the front lid hasn't dropped. (Not sure exactly when that happens. Should it drop before the cartridge begins to rise up?) So now I have a tape stuck in the VCR. Thoughts?

Keys to proper alignment of Panasonic K-Mech:
  • leave the motor off the unit until fully aligned AND the cartridge mechanism is placed.
  • align everything until the markers are correct and mode switch as well
  • THEN tweak off a bit to get the side cartridge-load-gear into its position. It has a large bump that meshes into a hole on the side of the main gear. Mode switch turns about 20-30 degrees. Flip the mechanism over: plenty of examples showing exactly which dot on the gear must point sideways.
  • that gear gap meshes with the SECOND cog on the cartridge mechanism. NOT the first (some documents say the first!)
  • NOW install the cartridge loader (which will be in fully disengaged mode to accomplish the proper mesh
  • TEST and ensure you can fully load/unload manually. Rework until that works.
  • NOW install the motor and the rest.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-23-2022, 06:41 AM
Free Member

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vcr...e-loading.html

discusses a couple possibilities for load/unload problems.
11-23-2022, 10:14 AM
Free Member

Yes... I mentioned his video in an earlier post. VERY helpful. But none of those were my issue!
11-23-2022, 10:20 AM
Free Member

HOORAY!!!! What a great feeling: my first VCR repair. MANY thanks to those who came before, and those who helped with responses to my many questions.

The final issue was quite subtle: on the right side carrier for the cassette holder, a small spring was dangling. Found no photos but guessed the location (the nearest plastic post). That was it.

Symptoms: failing to eject, failing to fully load.
Cause: a tiny disconnected spring on the cassette holder.

While I was at it, I cut open and cleaned the mode switch as well. Buttoned it up, and all functions are working. Video checks later. Time to prep for Thanksgiving and family showing up