Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-10-2023, 10:03 AM
Free Member

Hi,

New member here.

Recently purchased an NEC895EU, which I believe is a rebadged JVC HRD725.

I purchased it mainly because it has Hi-Fi audio with independent L/R record level controls. And, because it's vintage and I'm a sucker for vintage stuff. It's pretty cool looking with the hidden door and slide out tray. If I get it working, it will go in my audio rack.

It loads tapes, but shuts off after 8 seconds. Will not spool the tape or play. My limited knowledge suggests it may be a mode switch problem. Rotating the worm gear by hand seems to confirm this, as it appears to switch modes.

Also, the head spins, but seems a bit "crunchy".

Is this worth salvaging ? Should I devote time and effort to repair it ? How big of a job is it ? Is there somewhere to send it ? Or should I attempt it myself ?

I've restored lots of 8 track players, and vintage receivers. As well as cassette decks and boom boxes. I'll be honest however, this thing is pretty intimidating.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-10-2023, 10:19 AM
Free Member

Depends what you want out of it. It's not the sort of deck one would want for e.g digitizing or repair for sale but if it's more for the looks and feel it might be a cool machine. If it's the same as the 725 it has linear stereo in addition to hi-fi which wasn't found in a lot of vcrs (assuming it's the US variant). There's a video on servicing that one on youtube. Was one of if not the first vcr released in the US with hi-fi audio as well so maybe a bit historically interesting.

I can't find anything on that model name though I know NEC also made their own vcrs for some time (or as part of some collaboration, not sure.)

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
The following users thank hodgey for this useful post: augerinn (01-10-2023)
01-14-2023, 05:57 PM
Free Member

The full model designation would be NEC VC N-895EU.
It was also sold under other guises/badges.

Last edited by Tester; 01-14-2023 at 06:10 PM.