Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-15-2023, 02:52 PM
Free Member

Hello guys!
I have bought a really cheap Kona LHi + Breakbox + some cables and works like a charm.

Also, the Fan noise is unbearable...

I have read some other AJA and Black Magic users who have changed their original fan included (the noise seems to be because of the fan low quality)

What do you recommend in this model? just to take out fan and leave chip without anything? remove fan and install a passive heatsink? or replace to a new fan?

If is better to replace to a new fan, what could be the correct candidate ?

Im doing tests and at this point, i have fan "hanging" out just from cables and one passive heatsink placed with thermal paste and 2 plastic flanges (provisional tests xD) and temperature is from 75º to 83-84ºC.

Thanks you so much in advice!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AJA MOD heatsink.jpg (92.6 KB, 8 downloads)
File Type: jpeg AJA Cooler.jpeg (135.1 KB, 8 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-29-2023, 08:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmusico View Post
I have bought a really cheap Kona LHi + Breakbox + some cables and works like a charm.
What is the rest of your workflow, exactly? What VCR, to what (if any) TBC device(s), to which inputs of the LHi (Y/C BNC connectors on breakout cable?)

Quote:
Also, the Fan noise is unbearable...

I have read some other AJA and Black Magic users who have changed their original fan included (the noise seems to be because of the fan low quality)
Yes. The earlier serial numbered LHe Plus and LHi cards have the crappy Sunon fan shown in your picture. They seem to be almost guaranteed to be going bad by now. The later cards got an upgraded fan that is better quality and seems to be lasting just fine in comparison. You can call AJA directly and they'll give you all the info about fan replacement. Very simple to DIY.

Quote:
What do you recommend in this model? just to take out fan and leave chip without anything?
Absolutely NOT EVER under any circumstance!

Quote:
remove fan and install a passive heatsink?
Not unless you have enough active airflow directed to pass over that heatsink, and it's an appropriately-sized heatsink, and the temps stay below 60-65 C MAX.

Quote:
or replace to a new fan?
Yes.

Quote:
If is better to replace to a new fan, what could be the correct candidate?
See above; you can contact AJA support directly and they'll give you any info you need help with.

Quote:
Im doing tests and at this point, i have fan "hanging" out just from cables and one passive heatsink placed with thermal paste and 2 plastic flanges (provisional tests xD) and temperature is from 75º to 83-84ºC.
I would recommend avoiding that chip temp from staying over 65 C for any period of time. I think your 75-85 C temps are showing that you need to get a proper active cooling solution for it. See above; you can just get a new/upgraded replacement fan from AJA.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(y/c)--> lordsmurf frame tbc ---(sdi+y/c)--> capture in windows 7
12-29-2023, 11:16 PM
Free Member

Our British brother did this replacement:
https://youtu.be/EmwCkJBqKzI

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos

Tags
aja, cooler, heatsink, kona, mod