Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-01-2023, 05:20 AM
Free Member

I managed to find a brand New Old Stock JVC HR-S4700 player in a box, it's still sealed.
Comes from a hifi dealer who bought an old stock inventory.
I will buy it in 14 days.

When I hook it up for the first time, what should I do?
It's been in the box since 1991.
Should I insert and wind a tape forward to the end and back to exercise reels and the other moving parts or should I hit PLAY and enjoy this player?
I asked the dealer if we should do a tune up on this VCR before I use it for the first time since box was never opened - replace belts, replace pinch roller, re-grease moving parts ?

He told me this is not necessary as the VCR was wrapped in a plastic bag from factory and kept clean from dust and other bad environment.

I need some help from you fellow forum members
I have a hard time finding a parts list for this player, I searched the forum but struck out.
Does anyone know the parts number for pinch roller and it's assembly ??
Pinch roller sits on a black plastic arm seen in the attached photos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC HR-S4700 - Pinch roller 1.jpg (27.5 KB, 5 downloads)
File Type: jpg JVC HR-S4700 - Pinch roller 2.jpg (26.8 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg JVC HR-S4700 Front.jpg (23.4 KB, 4 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-01-2023, 05:52 AM
Free Member

Belts should be fine but 30 y.o grease/lube i'm not so sure
07-01-2023, 05:59 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
Belts should be fine but 30 y.o grease/lube i'm not so sure
Shop seller told me, this shouldn't be a problem with old grease, I live in Europe we have normal temps although could be very hot during summer.
07-01-2023, 06:45 AM
Free Member

I have a fancier model from the same time(HR-S5800EH), uses the same mechanism. Drive belt is a toothed silicone one so that one shouldn't be an issue, also has a rubber loading belt though at least on mine it's fine. You'll notice if it's struggling. Variations of this mechanism was used in a lot of JVCs so should be possible to find a pinch roller part number on a PAL JVC VHS VCR service manual from 1990 if you can't find the specific SM for this one if it has any issues though it's probably fine.
EDIT: Service manual seems to be available here:
http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...0EG/HRS4700EK/

Dried grease can be an issue on some VCRs of this vintage (pinch roller assembly on Sony VCRs in particular) but never heard about it on JVCs.

Capacitors can also go bad over time even without use but it varies. The 5800 has some SMD electrolytic caps in the video and audio circuits that go bad, not sure if the 4700 does as well, much less info about that model. (Also had power supply caps that were bad but that's less likely on a new old stock one.) This JVC mechanism also has known issue with the capacitor under the head drum that goes bad and causes tracking issues though I think that was more an issue on the earlier variants.

Always test with a sacrificial tape you don't care about when trying a vcr for the first time though, you never know for sure.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU

Last edited by hodgey; 07-01-2023 at 07:05 AM.
07-01-2023, 09:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgey View Post
I have a fancier model from the same time(HR-S5800EH), uses the same mechanism. Drive belt is a toothed silicone one so that one shouldn't be an issue, also has a rubber loading belt though at least on mine it's fine. You'll notice if it's struggling. Variations of this mechanism was used in a lot of JVCs so should be possible to find a pinch roller part number on a PAL JVC VHS VCR service manual from 1990 if you can't find the specific SM for this one if it has any issues though it's probably fine.
EDIT: Service manual seems to be available here:
http://freeservicemanuals.info/en/se...0EG/HRS4700EK/

Dried grease can be an issue on some VCRs of this vintage (pinch roller assembly on Sony VCRs in particular) but never heard about it on JVCs.

Capacitors can also go bad over time even without use but it varies. The 5800 has some SMD electrolytic caps in the video and audio circuits that go bad, not sure if the 4700 does as well, much less info about that model. (Also had power supply caps that were bad but that's less likely on a new old stock one.) This JVC mechanism also has known issue with the capacitor under the head drum that goes bad and causes tracking issues though I think that was more an issue on the earlier variants.

Always test with a sacrificial tape you don't care about when trying a vcr for the first time though, you never know for sure.
Thanks for the heads up.

I will use my player only as a weekend player from time to time.
Will only play new tapes, not dusty or moldy cr@p X-rentals!

I downloaded the free service manual for HR-4700, only info how to fix the player nothing else.
I have no idea where to find parts number for pinch roller and the assembly arm ???

Yeah, your HR-S5800 looks much more classy than the 4700 which look a bit cheap on front fascia.

Last edited by AMG-Power; 07-01-2023 at 10:06 AM.
07-02-2023, 10:51 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I have a fancier model from the same time(HR-S5800EH), uses the same mechanism.

Do you have the parts list for the HR-S5800?
Looks like we share the same type of pinch roller ????

Like your HR-S5800 the HR-S4700 has a black plastic foot which pinch roller sits on top, your player also have this design of pinch roller assembly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JVC HR-S5800.jpg (27.3 KB, 1 downloads)

Last edited by AMG-Power; 07-02-2023 at 11:31 AM.
07-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Free Member

There is a parts list in the service manual for the HR-S4700 I linked.

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU
07-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
There is a parts list in the service manual for the HR-S4700 I linked.
I must have missed that, I will look again.
Thanks buddy.
08-04-2023, 04:55 PM
Free Member

So I recently picked up my NoS JVC player.
It was really nice looking in the flesh than what I first thought seen from photos on internet.
Photos don't do this player justice, need to see it in the flesh to love it!

This VCR is a really heavy toy!
They don't make 'em like this anymore!

I hooked it up and winded a new tape forward and back.
There were no strange noise from the mechanism or dry grease, player is making normal operating sound from the mechanism when inserting tapes.
This VCR is a gulp, it swallows the tape very rapidly, I got scared the first time I inserted a tape.
My other newer JVC players are very slow when inserting a tape into the mechanism.

The display is very crispy and very sharp coz it's still fresh.
When not in use I will disconnect my VCR from the power outlet to save the display from ageing.
It's nice to see it also has an ON/OFF switch for the display.

Now it was time to play a tape.
I hit PLAY button and the picture was bouncing up N down and the audio played only in mono on a hifi stereo pre-recorded studio tape!
D@mn cr@p!!
I let the VCR play the tape for an hour to see if the stiff rubber on pinch roller would rub off, unfortunately it did not.

The next day, I tried again, I opened a brand new pre-recorded VHS tape and winded it forward and back, then all of a sudden my VCR just chewed the d@mn tape and destroyed it!

I also played a pirate S-VHS tape, I had som movies copied from DVD to S-VHS, my VCR also failed to play this tape, the S-VHS logo was flickering on VCR display.

So I went back to the shop with my VCR and they are going to check it out to see what's causing problems with bouncy picture on playback and the mono sound issues as I couldn't toggle the switch to change between HIFI - STEREO and MONO audio.
I also told them they could put new grease on mechanism for better performance and check for possible leaky caps?

I was so happy to find a brand new old stock VCR and it failed on playback.
I hope this is the only problem and hopefully easily can be fixed ??

What do you think is causing the problems on playback?
Could it be a stiff pinch roller which needs replacement?

I need your help.
Thanx

Last edited by AMG-Power; 08-04-2023 at 05:07 PM.