Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-24-2024, 09:46 AM
Free Member

I have hauled out my VCR after about 15 years of non use. Back then I used the machine from about 1985 to 2005 to record high quality stereo audio on VCR tape. Mostly classical captures from FM. I am now retired and have the time to digitize these captures. When I first plugged it in, it ate tape due to bad idler tire---which I replaced with the proper tire. Now when I load the recorded old tape I have two issues--the tape feed jerks some what--I can see it jerk ahead sometimes--often once per revolution of the spindle--that causes a sharp noise. (In one tape it actually split the tape as it was feeding into the drum). Ive been using a stripped down tapeless VCR cassette to observe the tape feed and wiping process--nothing seems wrong now. The second issue is that the hifi track is not working properly. Could someone give me some general direction? I have tried using an old tape feeding it backwards then forwards to see if the rewind operation would solve any issue with the tape sticking in the cartridge. I am an old reel to reel user who has baked his even older tapes and made them perfectly playable--I understand this is not necessary with vcr tape so I have not tried that. Thanks in advance, Phil
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-31-2024, 09:00 PM
Free Member

I would suspect dried grease on about every thing that turns, deteriorated brake pads
and back tension pads or mabe they fell off.
A lot of cleaning surfaces .
It's a combination of issues