Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-27-2024, 07:35 PM
Free Member

MODEL: JVC HR-S7900U

Noticed today when trying to capture video that the VCR started buzzing. Doesn't matter if powered on or not, the moment I plug in the power it starts. Will attach video, also produces a rolling kinda static when trying to playback that was not there previously.

Bad capacitor? bad fuse? Any guidance before I get a little to gung-ho with a soldering iron and do more damage.

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20240127_192837.mp4 (40.47 MB, 5 downloads)

Last edited by licehead; 01-27-2024 at 08:00 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-28-2024, 03:44 AM
Free Member

That's a ground loop you're hearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_l__9s89T0

https://www.sct.com.tw/articles/4-ef...o-interference

Solution: https://shorturl.at/fgoxW
01-28-2024, 12:15 PM
Free Member

No, that is not a recommended solution, He needs to address the root cause not patch it with quality reduction of audio. Check your cables, connectors and ground as necessary, don't leave the problem there and try to hide it with masking tape.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-28-2024, 10:28 PM
Free Member

The problem is not audio during playback / capture. The hum is definitely coming from the back right of the deck near where the power cable goes. I tried just about every outlet in my home and the moment I plug it in it starts to buzz. No other cables are plugged into the unit, no tape inside. This has never been a problem until very recently.
01-29-2024, 01:27 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by licehead View Post
The problem is not audio during playback / capture. The hum is definitely coming from the back right of the deck near where the power cable goes. I tried just about every outlet in my home and the moment I plug it in it starts to buzz. No other cables are plugged into the unit, no tape inside. This has never been a problem until very recently.
The high frequency noise appears to be coming from the high voltage side of the switch mode power supply. The deck probably needs to be checked by a skilled service tech.
01-29-2024, 01:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by licehead View Post
I tried just about every outlet in my home
Did you not properly put this unit on a UPS (in the past), and had it directly into the wall outlet?

Uh-oh.

This is a coincidental post for me. The reason I just woke up is because we had a random power surge. Not a dip or brown-out, but a surge. The night light intensified, then burned out. The LED on my clock got bright. I could hear the refrigerator groan from several rooms over. The battery backup (UPS) in my room, which is used for my TV and players, went bonkers and screamed me out of bed.

So if anything ever happened like this, and you had a VCR on the wall outlet, you're screwed. It can happen at any time, while at home, while not at home. Ths is why a UPS is essential for AV gear, computers, and just anything valuable in general.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs