Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-29-2024, 01:43 PM
Free Member

My Panasonic NV-FJ626 PAL VCR suddenly started to show on playback this grey, grainy band at the bottom of the video image. Hifi audio has also failed, as well as good quality mono audio.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-29 at 18.37.40.jpg

This one is the image produced during pause. The vertical image is tilted downward by the exact margin of the grey band.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Is this a common malfunction of Panasonic models?

Is there a way to fix this issue by means of repairing?

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-29-2024, 05:45 PM
Free Member

Kind of looks like a tracking issue that could be addressed by adjusting the tape guides with a screwdriver. Typically, you don't want to mess with the guides unless you are ok with chancing that the alignment won't be correct again, but if it's doing that with all tapes, then it is probably worth trying. There's also the chance that doing a bunch of adjusting can make the guides loosen up over time and make it easier to go out of alignment again in the future.
03-30-2024, 01:00 PM
Free Member

It's caused by the magnet ring on the head drum that is used for the vcr sensor positioning cracking. It is a known fault in panasonics of this vintage, same thing happened on my NV-FJ621 (which I may have borked by possibly accidentally stripping the threads locking nut before knowing the proper fix, thankfully it's not a rare model or anything, would be worse it it was a svhs vcr). It's fixable, see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR9MNJbE9vQ

My Video gear overview/test/repair/stuff yt channel http://youtu.be/cEyfegqQ9TU

Tags
fj626, grey band, malfunction, panasonic, playback