Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-20-2024, 01:57 PM
Free Member

Hi, I got from friend Panasonic HS-1000, it was working normally at his place, but when I brought it to mine at first I only got audio with black picture and some static or something, and I eject tape few times and re-insert and now I got picture and sound but picture is black and white, I tried to switch that button from color to auto to B&W, same thing. Tried few tapes, they are all B&W. Strange thing is when I move that sharp soft slider I don't see any changes on my LCD screen, don't know if I should see it or it's only visible on CRT's. Any idea what would cause picture to be only black and white ?

Caps were never changed, maybe soldering problem on PSU ?

From inside everything looks fine, head is clean no damage or mold (I even clean it with IPA and paper), pinch roller is like new, I remove that sponge that clean head to avoid head getting dirty. What I didn't manage to still do is inspect PSU from inside.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-20-2024, 02:18 PM
Free Member

Is this over S-Video or Composite?

TBC caps going bad often will cause the picture to be black and white. If it's S-video output, the chroma wire on the plug might just not be making good contact.
05-20-2024, 02:20 PM
Free Member

On both. On Composite it even flickers from time to time, on s-video is steady but b&w.
05-20-2024, 05:18 PM
Free Member

Iím guessing someone is going to say caps or something but I wanna say with the S-Video make sure your cable is connected well. The input on the 1980p ags is kinda loose and if your cable isnít t in there well you can get black and white even with really good cables.
05-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Free Member

Probably bad capacitors on the TBC board then. If it was unused for a while, the heat from using it could have dried out the rest of the electrolyte or caused them to leak.
05-20-2024, 11:05 PM
Free Member

Tried few cables no changes, they are were both connected well, thats not the problem.

It was used few weeks ago. And turn off and unplugged after that. So you dont think it's caps on PSU, it's the caps on TBC board. Should I check PSU too or it's not necessary. But why is picture flickering on RCA, and on S-video is steady ? I even tried scart to 3xRCA converter and connect video out (yellow rca) and it's flickering there too.

Now I try the putting cassette again in the morning after the vcr was pulled out from plug last night and replug now, I got only sound no picture again on s-video and on RCA (tried also via scart converter).

-- merged --

Edit:
same thing happend yesterday when I got it first, eventually after few ejects and reinsert the tape I manage to got the picture but in b&w only, and quality wasnt that good.

-- merged --

Didn't manage to edit on time I just remember to ask one more thing.

I was reading that this wrap around PSU is making troubles for heat not to excape, is it safe to remove it or to drill some wholes on it or something for better heat dissipation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240521_062242.jpg (64.7 KB, 12 downloads)
05-21-2024, 09:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaltake View Post
So you dont think it's caps on PSU, it's the caps on TBC board. Should I check PSU too or it's not necessary.
If you're gonna really get in there and do re-cap work, may as well do all the PSU caps at once. Then you can either re-test and assess at that point, or also re-cap the video & audio circuitry.

Quote:
Now I try the putting cassette again in the morning after the vcr was pulled out from plug last night and replug now, I got only sound no picture again on s-video and on RCA (tried also via scart converter).

same thing happend yesterday when I got it first, eventually after few ejects and reinsert the tape I manage to got the picture but in b&w only, and quality wasnt that good.
Sure sounds like a failing cap issue, sits unplugged and caps discharge, plug back in and no video at first, then after some time the failing caps finally have enough to start outputting video again.

Quote:
I was reading that this wrap around PSU is making troubles for heat not to escape, is it safe to remove it or to drill some holes on it or something for better heat dissipation.
Attach a bunch of good pics of the outside & inside so we can see everything.

recommended vcr+line tbc ---(Y/C)--> recommended frame tbc or "tbc-ish" ---(Y/C)--> capture
The following users thank mrmuy97 for this useful post: Thermaltake (05-21-2024)
05-21-2024, 01:45 PM
Free Member

I checked PSU, it looks like new, all caps look fine to me, I tought one cap is leaked (blue one on picture) but thats some kind of glue that went on it in factory.

I don't see anything suspicious, I clean everything with kontakt60, sliders and potentionmeters with kontakt61. And assemble, I'll try it tomorrow maybe and check if it's any chance it's working normal now.

Here are pictures ( a bunch of them )
https://imgur.com/a/KNIgzHB
05-21-2024, 05:50 PM
Free Member

Haven't worked on one of those before, but it's likely those black coated bords that may be ceramic with some sort of coating. 12VoltVids on YouTube does a lot of VCR repairs and he hates the AG1970 for that reason - that those boards like to fail and aren't repairable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_GIFR2NhA

He incorrectly states that the AG1980 uses the same ceramic boards in the video, but that one has all standard fiberglass PCBs which might be part of the reason why they are a lot more reliable (once recapped) and in demand.
05-22-2024, 09:36 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramkolt View Post
Haven't worked on one of those before, but it's likely those black coated bords that may be ceramic with some sort of coating. 12VoltVids on YouTube does a lot of VCR repairs and he hates the AG1970 for that reason - that those boards like to fail and aren't repairable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho_GIFR2NhA

He incorrectly states that the AG1980 uses the same ceramic boards in the video, but that one has all standard fiberglass PCBs which might be part of the reason why they are a lot more reliable (once recapped) and in demand.
Symptoms are not even close to mine.

Like lordsmurf would say youtubers are idiots most of them and talk trash...

P.S
that board on his AG1970 is not covered with some kind of rubber like mine, mine is covered with it, you can see it on my pictures.
05-22-2024, 11:46 PM
Free Member

I don't see in manual anywhere how to disassaseble that front side where buttons are, I want to clean that and spray with kontakt61 but can't figure out how. I found screws on the bottom 3 of them but can't remove that front part from back part to access buttons.
05-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Free Member

I manage to find it. Solved the knob problem.
05-24-2024, 11:29 AM
Free Member

I can't find Part number of brake arms for HS-1000 in manual scan is not that clear to see. Anyone have PN maybe ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240523_170653.jpg (67.3 KB, 6 downloads)
05-26-2024, 07:26 AM
Free Member

Found it VXZ0312 and VXZ0313. It was hard to find it on that exploded section, didn't event noticed it
05-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Free Member

Problem solved

VCR Fixed.

On video output on some chip power was oscilating.

Now I got picture and color, and everything else is working as it should. I only need to grease a bit more tape ejector on the doors, run out of grease. Order new Molykote EM30L.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (46.5 KB, 6 downloads)

Last edited by Thermaltake; 05-27-2024 at 07:34 AM.
06-06-2024, 06:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Problem solved

VCR Fixed.

On video output on some chip power was oscilating.

Now I got picture and color, and everything else is working as it should. I only need to grease a bit more tape ejector on the doors, run out of grease. Order new Molykote EM30L.

Hi,
can you tell me what exactly was broken? Which chip?

Best regards
06-06-2024, 10:56 PM
Free Member

Few doughter boards had bad solder after resoldering all of them picture was in color again.

Don't remember what chip exactly was oscilating.