Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-27-2015, 02:10 PM
Free Member

Hi. I have this great unit, Panasonic NV-HS960. So far, it's the only unit I've found that can playback my tapes without jitter when the TBC is enabled

But I do have one issue with it. The autotracking doesn't seem to function while playing. I have a few tapes that is recorded by several VCR's. All other Panasonic VCR's seems to change the tracking settings automatically while playing those tapes, but the HS960 doesn't. I have to push both the PGM +/- buttons simultaneously to make it start the autotracking. When inserting a new tape, it starts autotracking automatically, but not while playing. I belive this isn't right on this unit, is it?

Also, I would like to replace the pinch roller on this unit but can't find the service manual? Does anyone know the part number for it?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-27-2015, 03:47 PM
Free Member

Its me again! The auto tracking does work during a tape - but only when there is a break in the recording. Having the auto tracking run during playback can cause the image to roll and the sound to slur so I suppose they thought that having it run for each fresh recording on a tape was enough. I agree the 960 is a great machine - I'm using mine right now for a very tricky wedding video to DVD job.

There is a great source for rollers - I'll see if I can remember what it is. If I can't find it you can have one of mine.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: hysteriah (04-28-2015)
04-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Free Member

Once again, thank you very much, Quasipal. I think you're the one around here with definately most knowledge on these PAL units. That's so valuable to me!

Aha, okey. I'm not quite sure if mine is doing autotracking even when there's a break in the recording, but that may explain it. I'll check it out ;-)

Yes, I really think the 960 is a great unit. Unfortunately, it's the one that struggles the most with head clogs that happens very easally on this unit. Also some other smaller distortions happens randomly from time to time. So I would love to change the pinch roller and see if that may solve some of it.

If it's still available, I would love to order it. So please let me know if you find that source.
Is there a way to talk "In private" in this forum maybe?
04-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Free Member

Just glad I can help!

Since the price for the rollers is a little different to when I last ordered I have enquired about them. If the manufacturer/supplier has changed for the worse since my last order I don't want to reccomend something that is sub-standard. The last ones I had were brilliant - made in Japan and everything but I have had poor rollers in the past (not from this supplier) so I need to confirm.

I'll share publicy when I have had the reply - here's hoping!
04-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Free Member

That's excellent! Thank you very much, Quasipal!
04-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sometimes the AG-1980 hates to track certain tapes. Some of my own personal tapes can be tricky.
Sometimes the JVC HR-S9800 will play these fine.
Others play badly in both, and manual tracking is needed.

That's the price you pay for EP recording on slightly misaligned VCRs!

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs