Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-12-2015, 01:43 AM
Premium Member

I bought this VCR from a local,independent TV shop in 2010 STILL SEALED in original, factory box! It's been sitting in cabinet with my other equipment since then, but Very Lightly used, always covered when not in use, spent a long time un-powered/un-plugged. Recently I have been using it with no problems, But I was wondering if the tape path parts can wear out simply with age? After moving it to my kitchen table and removing the top, and pulling out the stuck tape (around the head) I saw that the tape was almost cut in 1/2,but not all the way. (Tape was commercial made from early 1990's, but barely played) may have been used, part of specialty Railroad tapes I used to collect, but most were always usually purchased New. It was very humid here in So.Cal lately, But this unit has a sensor/drying circuit...What worried me the most was how the 2 small,front rectangular rubber feet left a gooey,black,smeary mess all over my kitchen table..they have de-composed to mush!.. After cleaning tape residue from stuck tape off of the head and checking tape path rollers,etc..and putting back together, It played another tape just fine!..BTW the malfunction happened Immediately after loading tape,pressed play,and got bad picture,no playback. I tried to eject 2 times,1st time tape almost came out, Like a dummie I pushed it back in,then 2nd time it was really stuck inside!

Last edited by rocko; 07-12-2015 at 01:57 AM. Reason: add
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 982 Posts
Well, don't feel alone. This has happened to many of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
But I was wondering if the tape path parts can wear out simply with age?
Yes. Belts stretch or dry up, capstans harden...lots of things happen inside that box, with time. Tapes get brittle and the oxide layer oxidizes. It could well have been the tape's fault, as retail OEM's use the cheapest and thinnest tapes possible to bloat their profits.

Part of my mishap history involves three high-end JVC's. Two of them were used but refurbed units that crapped out after three or foiur captures, permanently damaging two of my most prized retail tapes along the way. The third JVC was brand-new, clearly defective out of the box with poor tracking and a screwed up AGC circuit that blew brights right out the window. Then a high-end Panasonic that was pretty good except for one bad video head that created a lot of bad edge distortion. I managed to get a trade-in for that unit and bought another refurb. None of this stuff came cheap. Add a PC motherboard that went bad (thank heaven I'd bought a spare copy earlier), and you have a few years of typical mishaps.

It happens.
The following users thank sanlyn for this useful post: lordsmurf (07-12-2015), rocko (07-12-2015)
07-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,460 Times in 2,092 Posts
Sanlyn is correct.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (07-12-2015)
07-12-2015, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Well, don't feel alone. This has happened to many of us.

Yes. Belts stretch or dry up, capstans harden...lots of things happen inside that box, with time. Tapes get brittle and the oxide layer oxidizes. It could well have been the tape's fault, as retail OEM's use the cheapest and thinnest tapes possible to bloat their profits.

Part of my mishap history involves three high-end JVC's. Two of them were used but refurbed units that crapped out after three or foiur captures, permanently damaging two of my most prized retail tapes along the way. The third JVC was brand-new, clearly defective out of the box with poor tracking and a screwed up AGC circuit that blew brights right out the window. Then a high-end Panasonic that was pretty good except for one bad video head that created a lot of bad edge distortion. I managed to get a trade-in for that unit and bought another refurb. None of this stuff came cheap. Add a PC motherboard that went bad (thank heaven I'd bought a spare copy earlier), and you have a few years of typical mishaps.

It happens.
Oh SH-T!!... I should have bought the other (2nd) factory sealed one they had, and the demo too!!!..Maybe they still have them?...But I think I blabbed to everyone, and posted on this site about the extra one they had!..Mainly 'cause I could only afford the one at that time, even at $180.00!
07-15-2015, 05:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Tapes get brittle and the oxide layer oxidizes. It could well have been the tape's fault, as retail OEM's use the cheapest and thinnest tapes possible to bloat their profits.
And thanks to my early (1980's) experience with audio cassette and reel-to-reel maintenance/tape quality, I knew, later on, to make sure and use the highest quality blank video tapes I could find in local stores, for really important events...(TDK HDX PRO/Sony "V" High or Extra High Grade tapes, labeled for archiving,not "everyday use") usually had to be purchased separately,not in 4 or 6 packs!..which are the ones I plan to capture now,and I'm pretty sure have an extra coating on them!(Thicker)..The TDK HDX's even have fancy hard plastic cases!...BTW I found the Repair/Maint. manual on this site for my VCR,(and thank whoever uploaded it!)....Found out there are some (metal/nylon/plastic) parts/components of the VCR head/tape path that you don't just slather-up with an alcohol soaked Q-tip!, some parts require only a soft cleaning cloth,some alcohol/cloth, and No vertical motion on the VCR Head itself, only horizontal/turning of the head...Plus found out there is a special little ratchet/lever in there, that's meant for freeing up a tangled tape..Instead of just pulling on the tape like I did!..Then there are the rubber roller parts,(no alcohol!) which looked ok on my (almost new) unit, however I have successfully used that very stinky "rubber renew" stuff on older,dirty audio tape units,even the belts!..I didn't even get to the parts that need lube,but I think it takes quite a few years before the factory lube wears out(?).

Last edited by rocko; 07-15-2015 at 06:42 AM. Reason: add