Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-06-2017, 12:41 AM
Free Member

Hi Everyone,
The is my first post (I think). I am so thankful for this forum- I have used the VCR buying guide to set up an excellent transfer setup that I use to take care of my tapes along with local/regionally known bands' archive videos. The knowledge shared here got me started (and started a gear hoarding issue). Thanks, I think!
Anyway, I have a friend's 8mm masters that won't play on any player. the camcorder just shows a blue screen upon playback but you can see the picture when you play + fast forward. He said that when he finished filming that tour, a piece of plastic fell out of the camcorder. I am thinking a guide was screwed up so we need to adjust tracking. If you think I am off base here, please let me know!
I bought a Sony EVO-9850 at an estate sale that I want to fix to deal with the above issue + to play some Hi8 ME tapes that are a huge pain in the ass. When I power the EVO-9850 up, it gives me an "ERROR 90" code. I searched online and I found that it may be bad capacitors, or a board connection issue. I popped the top of the unit and it is in really nice shape... but there are so many boards and so many connectors that I don't know what should/should not be connected. Does anyone have a lead on an EVO-9850 service manual anywhere? Or photos of a properly wired unit? The caps look great.
Thanks
Shayne
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Free Member

Check:
http://www.user-manuals.com/advanced...x=0&y=0&brand=

I've ordered other manuals from them a couple times in the past and have been satisfied. They were scans in PDF format, and the price was far cheaper than new FSMs from the mfgr. The only limitation was the scan quality of photographs/gray scale images in the original manual. Text, line drawings, and schematics were fine.

FWIW: the problematic caps are often surface mounted electrolytic, and might not show any external evidence (e.g., bulge or leak) of a problem.

Tags
evo-9850, repair, schematic, sony