Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Free Member

I'm in the process of digitizing my 14500 VHS tapes (mostly PAL). About 6500 down, 8000 to go.
I mostly buy PANA NV-HS1000 - they do the job right, but last only about 1000 tapes each before the heads get worn out. But for fine-tracking bad LP taes, JVCs do the job better - even a stupid low-range JVC HR-J670 that I bought at "CashConverters".
Therefore, over the last year, I bought two JVC HR-S9500s : one (HR-S9500MS) worked great... for a week, before suddenly developing tracking issues (even in SP, no stereo sound) and a wide horizontal blurry line that can be "moved up and down" using tracking controls, but impossibly to totally get rid of... Any idea? Anyhow, I tried to find a repair shop here in Brussels, without luck.

So I bought another one from "e-bay kleinanzeigen"... and that one never worked at all (I'm really pissed at the seller who sold it to me as working but untested). After some fiddling, I saw that - when I put a tape in there and try to play it - the take up reel (the right one, if I'm not mistaken) starts turning all right, but the supply reel stays immobile.... therefore, of course... then the vcr shuts down after a few seconds. I got a paused image for that short while. Does ayone have an idea why the left reel doesn't turn? (It's not mechanically stuck, I can turn it by hand... maybe some kind of belt below... but I'm unable to check it) I tried to take it apart, but I'm not very good at that, and couldn't easily separate the mechanism board from the main electronics board just below it (I tried to follow JVC procedures for disassembly, removed the front panel, was able to lower the cassette holder manually, took out a couple of screws then got stuck). Maybe if someone could point to a video explaining how to take it apart, or give me pointers, or a repair shop I could send it to (even if that means shelling out a couple of hundreds). I'm thinking I might be able to build one functional JVC-HR9500s out of two broken ones !

Thanks for your help

MadMoviebuff
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMovieBuff View Post
I'm in the process of digitizing my 14500 VHS tapes (mostly PAL). About 6500 down, 8000 to go.
That's insane. How are you ever going to have time to watch them afterward?

What type of storage and cataloguing does one use for 14,000 of... anything?

Quote:
one (HR-S9500MS) worked great... for a week, before suddenly developing tracking issues (even in SP, no stereo sound) and a wide horizontal blurry line that can be "moved up and down" using tracking controls, but impossibly to totally get rid of... Any idea? Anyhow, I tried to find a repair shop here in Brussels, without luck.
Reminds me of my issue with JVC HM-DH5U.
05-13-2016, 04:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I mostly buy PANA NV-HS1000 - they do the job right, but last only about 1000 tapes each before the heads get worn out. But for fine-tracking bad LP taes, JVCs do the job better - even a stupid low-range JVC HR-J670 that I bought at "CashConverters".
Therefore, over the last year, I bought two JVC HR-S9500s : one (HR-S9500MS) worked great... for a week, before suddenly developing tracking issues (even in SP, no stereo sound) and a wide horizontal blurry line that can be "moved up and down" using tracking controls, but impossibly to totally get rid of... Any idea? Anyhow, I tried to find a repair shop here in Brussels, without luck.

So I bought another one from "e-bay kleinanzeigen"... and that one never worked at all (I'm really pissed at the seller who sold it to me as working but untested). After some fiddling, I saw that - when I put a tape in there and try to play it - the take up reel (the right one, if I'm not mistaken) starts turning all right, but the supply reel stays immobile.... therefore, of course... then the vcr shuts down after a few seconds. I got a paused image for that short while. Does ayone have an idea why the left reel doesn't turn? (It's not mechanically stuck, I can turn it by hand... maybe some kind of belt below... but I'm unable to check it) I tried to take it apart, but I'm not very good at that, and couldn't easily separate the mechanism board from the main electronics board just below it (I tried to follow JVC procedures for disassembly, removed the front panel, was able to lower the cassette holder manually, took out a couple of screws then got stuck). Maybe if someone could point to a video explaining how to take it apart, or give me pointers, or a repair shop I could send it to (even if that means shelling out a couple of hundreds). I'm thinking I might be able to build one functional JVC-HR9500s out of two broken ones !

Thanks for your help

MadMoviebuff
Why not just replace the Panasonic heads? They are available for around 50 Euros new from Impel (CDLens.com) and for playback only its just a simple matter or adjusting the in and out guides if needs be - quite a simple job.
05-13-2016, 07:16 PM
Free Member

Quasipal : many thanks for the advice. Do you know how I could find the part number (I guess it's one of the VEH-xxxx video heads)? Also, is it not only the upper part of the drum and isn't it complicated to pull the upper part away from the lower part?

Quote:
What type of storage and cataloguing does one use for 14,000 of... anything?
For storage: two synology 12-bay DS2413+ NAS, under Raid6, one with 4TB disks, the other one with 6TB disks. Two separate backups on stand-alone drives.
For cataloguing: a couple of Access and mysql databases, and many scripts.
And yes, I know this is insane.
05-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Free Member

I actually meant storage & cataloguing of physical objects, in this case the tapes.
05-18-2016, 05:49 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Quasipal : many thanks for the advice. Do you know how I could find the part number (I guess it's one of the VEH-xxxx video heads)? Also, is it not only the upper part of the drum and isn't it complicated to pull the upper part away from the lower part?

For storage: two synology 12-bay DS2413+ NAS, under Raid6, one with 4TB disks, the other one with 6TB disks. Two separate backups on stand-alone drives.
For cataloguing: a couple of Access and mysql databases, and many scripts.
And yes, I know this is insane.
Hi, look at http://www.cdlens.com/?item=20246 which is what you need. Actually I would advise against replacing the whole drum - as the tape path will need full alignment. By changing the upper drum only, the tape path is unaffected, but you may need to tweak the switch point and guides just a touch. I have done one just last weekend - set the tape path using known good LP recordings which are very sensitive to mis-alignment. If you are not confident about soldering and setting the internal guides, you may need to use a local repair agent - and supply them with the parts. Also change the pinch roller - they don't last as long as the heads.
10-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasipal View Post
Hi, look at http://www.cdlens.com/?item=20246 which is what you need.
Hi Quasipal and thanks for letting us know that there's still available new videodrum for the Panasonic NV-HS1000. I thought they were discontinued many years ago! I really want to order a new drum to replace mine, but on the drum inside my "Panasonic NV-HS1000EC", it's printed "VEH0651" while the item in this link you are refering to sais "VEH-0433". Are you sure this is the right drum for the Panasonic NV-HS1000?

It's probably THIS item I should order for my NV-HS1000, don't you think?:
http://www.cdlens.com/?item=20257

Here's a pic of the drum inside my unit

Sorry for bumping this old thread by the way

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161020_183116.jpg (78.2 KB, 57 downloads)
10-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteriah View Post
Hi Quasipal and thanks for letting us know that there's still available new videodrum for the Panasonic NV-HS1000. I thought they were discontinued many years ago! I really want to order a new drum to replace mine, but on the drum inside my "Panasonic NV-HS1000EC", it's printed "VEH0651" while the item in this link you are refering to sais "VEH-0433". Are you sure this is the right drum for the Panasonic NV-HS1000?

It's probably THIS item I should order for my NV-HS1000, don't you think?:
http://www.cdlens.com/?item=20257

Here's a pic of the drum inside my unit

Sorry for bumping this old thread by the way
Glad to help. The main thing is the head number matches your unit - and I have seen two different heads on the HS1000 - so if CDLENS has one with the same number as yours then you will be safe. One word of warning - you may need to make to tweak the guides and head switching point when renewing the head.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: hysteriah (10-24-2016)
10-24-2016, 06:37 AM
Free Member

Thank you very much, Quasipal. I've ordered the new drum now. I'm very excited to see how it will affect the "head clogs" that I'm experiencing all the time now :-)

Is there any guidence somewhere (written guide or youtube tutorial) on how to do the required tweaking? Which screws should be adjusted and which ones should be left as is?
10-28-2016, 04:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteriah View Post
Thank you very much, Quasipal. I've ordered the new drum now. I'm very excited to see how it will affect the "head clogs" that I'm experiencing all the time now :-)

Is there any guidence somewhere (written guide or youtube tutorial) on how to do the required tweaking? Which screws should be adjusted and which ones should be left as is?
Hi, well firstly this alignment is something that is quite tricky as if you are not familiar with doing such procedures. My suggestion is to fit the new head and then see what you get - you may be lucky and not need to touch anything at all! I do suggest the use of a decent CRT TV when working on VCR's as the LCD picture is too processed to see small problems like increased noise in bands etc.

The screws to tweak are the two slotted screws on both the tape guides that take it around the drum - input and exit guides. Mark the original position with pen before moving them and make sure you have a proper tool - don't just use a normal screwdriver as that will mess up the slot. You will need to make up one using a Dremel and an old screwdriver.

Show me what you get after fitting the new drum and I will advise accordingly. Make sure you have the proper soldering kit ready though - and desolder braid.
The following users thank Quasipal for this useful post: hysteriah (10-29-2016)