09-05-2017, 03:40 AM
Free Member

More correctly.

I purchased this reconditioned machine two months ago from Germany. I am in Australia. These decent PAL SVHS units are almost impossible to get locally.

It worked for a day then the next day there was no light on it or anything.

I contacted the seller who is actually a good guy and who restores many of these older units. I told him I would prefer not to have to send it half way around the world again so he has sent me a replacement power supply hoping that will solve the problem.

It hasn't arrived yet. However just on the off chance I plugged the machine in again and lo and behold it worked (for about 2 days). I transferred around 10 tapes :-)

Today Mid way through a capture it suddenly without warning just stopped. The tape is stuck in the machine which won't turn on. I'm going to let it cool right down and then try to power it on and eject the tape.

But I'm just wondering what the issue could be. A friend in another state thinks it might be a dry joint.

I am going to get a technician to look at it once the new power supply arrives but I was just interested if anyone has any other thoughts.

Regards,

Paul
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-05-2017, 04:56 AM
Free Member

Actually never mind.

Martin is paying for the return postage and has also just issued me a refund.

Not sure if I will buy another one from Germany. Just too much hassle if anything goes wrong.
09-10-2017, 05:43 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan View Post
Actually never mind.

Martin is paying for the return postage and has also just issued me a refund.

Not sure if I will buy another one from Germany. Just too much hassle if anything goes wrong.
These power faults are often very hard to trace so good job on the refund. These are actually very reliable VCR's so it was a shame it conked out. I suspect a cracked PCB from jarring in transit.