Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Hardware Repair

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone i have just joined this site.

This combination machine i bought at a local auction in the UK sometime ago. I have tried to get information with respect to this combo but can find very little about it accept that it was sold by ASDA in the UK in the late 90's perhaps even till 2002?.

Can anyone tell me what other brands/badge names this machine may have come under, this combo is lifeless accept for the head drum rotating which then stops "after say 5 minutes," i assume this happens in the absence of a cassette.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-27-2018, 08:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Double check that model number.
But assuming this is a plain VHS VCR, it's probably not worth using anyway.

There are reason I wrote this: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-28-2018, 04:15 AM
Free Member

(DVB VR01) Combination that can transfer Video home cassettes to dvd & vice versa with excellent results in the past. However i have now located the faults on the SMPS "machine now working".
09-28-2018, 09:24 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by graticule View Post
(DVB VR01) Combination that can transfer Video home cassettes to dvd & vice versa with excellent results in the past. However i have now located the faults on the SMPS "machine now working".
I don't know about this conclusion.

Either:
- it's an obscure LSI Logic clone, with some sort of TBC(ish) inside ... unlikely, but possible
- or we have vastly different definitions of "excellent" ... more likely

There's a reason that most DVD recorders are not advised for analog/VHS conversion, and even moreso why combo VHS/DVDR are not advised. Quality on those is almost always worse than the original tapes. (With few exceptions, mostly the highest end pro JVC SR decks that combo'd SVHS+TBC decks with LSI recorders.)

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: graticule (10-02-2018)
10-02-2018, 02:41 PM
Free Member

Mmm, i have recently copied a cassette via the DVD rec, the previous time was some time ago! and do agree with your comments. The clone quality is certainly poor and is nothing to write home about...but will have a look at your articles on this subject...i may need to get a professional outlet to the transferring. Why have silver when you can have gold.
10-03-2018, 12:43 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by graticule View Post
i may need to get a professional outlet to the transferring. Why have silver when you can have gold.
Just be sure to vet them very thoroughly, such as learning exactly what hardware is in use. What you don't want is to pay some hack to use a POS that you could have bought yourself.

There are some transfer shops in Europe, members here.
And then we do can do PAL as well, based in USA.
Remember: that's what mail is for. The odds of finding a high-end operation close by is low.