Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Edit Video, Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

I have some mpg 1 movie files shot with a sony cybershot digital still point & shoot camera that I want to burn to a blank DVD, one of them was shot vertically to film someone, how do I rotate it like one does with a photograph so that it can be watched upright normally on a TV & DVD player.

Is there a way to do this without having to go into a complex editor to convert etc for this one video shot vertically.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Is there a way to do this without having to go into a complex editor to convert etc for this one video shot vertically.
No.

If you still want to proceed, however, let me know, and I can see about providing some instructions. What software do you have available? Are you still using a Mac? If so, what are the specs?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

I use both a mac & a PC;

on the mac: I have imovie 09, & mpeg streamclip, handbrake

on the pc: DVD flick,freemake video converter, & handbrake
12-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Can you run the video through Gspot and take a screen shot of the results?
I'd like to see what codecs are involved, as well as if it is interlaced or not (and it probably is not).

- Download Gspot
- Guide for using Gspot

I have a pretty easy method in mind, using freeware, assuming your source file will allow for it.
Hence the need to know more about the video file you have.

Thanks.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
12-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

I made a screen shot & pasted it in a Microsoft word document, if this did not work, I am not sure how to get it just as an image to place in my post.

Once it is opened in MS word, you can click on the screen shot, & drag the sliders to make it bigger & easier to read.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image001.jpg (71.9 KB, 3 downloads)

Last edited by lordsmurf; 12-22-2010 at 06:58 AM. Reason: extracted image from Word doc, re-attached image only
12-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sossity View Post
I made a screen shot & pasted it in a Microsoft word document, if this did not work, I am not sure how to get it just as an image to place in my post. Once it is opened in MS word, you can click on the screen shot, & drag the sliders to make it bigger & easier to read.
Not to get too off-topic, but...
Watch the video here: How to take a screen shot on a Mac
direct link: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...take-2689.html

Sharing Word documents is generally considered "not safe" because of macro virus and other nasties that can be packed inside office documents, even to this day (and historically well into the mid 1990s). It's also best to make images viewable in-forum, and not require outside software. For example, I don't even have MS Office on my desktops -- just OpenOffice on a few (which does open Word .doc/.docx files usually).

Just an FYI for you.

Weill get back to the main part of your post in another week or two. It requires a lot of information that takes more time than is currently available on our part. (You need a few guides, since you're still really new to video editing, and this is semi-complicated, especially since you're on a Mac.)

Thanks.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
video: 640x480 MPEG-1 30fps
audio: MPEG Layer II (MP2), 32kHz 64kbps

Removed Word doc, swapped it for attached image.

Moved the screenshot question here: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/show...89.html?t=2689

As far as video direction, use VirtualDub on the Windows machine. (It can technically be done on the Mac too, but that answer will take more time to write, in future posts from admin and kpmedia.) And hopefully you have adequate codecs to open your videos, or the pre-installed VirtualDub download will take care of you.

Open VDub, load the video.
Go to Video > Filters
Add...
and then pick the Rotate filter (it will ask to flip 90 degrees left, right or 180)
OK

You should now see the video loaded at the new direction in your preview.

vdub-filters.png

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

Of course, now it's the wrong resolution for making a DVD, but that's an entirely different topic.

To save the video, go to Video > Compression and pick HuffYUV or another choice compression format.
Note that HuffYUV is about 35-40GB/hour, so it's not a small file.

Then File > Save as AVI to a new .avi file.

To make it a "standard" MPEG/H.264 type of video, you'll need to re-encode in your choice of encoding software.
Again, that leads into a whole different topic.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs