Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-22-2004, 03:04 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

UPDATE! -- Most of the file downloads have been moved here: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...der-hacks.html -- guide still below.

Although the ATI All In Wonder 128 PRO card is not a "Radeon-class" graphics card, it was the first card to use the Theatre Rage capture chips, the ones still in use by ATI AIW cards of today. Because of this, it will run all Theatre-friendly ATI MMC software, including ATI MMC 8.7. For some dumb reason, ATI has forgotten it's old ATI AIW 128 PRO users. This guide makes up for their inadequacies.

This guide is being made for Windows XP and the ATI AIW 128 PRO using ATI MMC 8.7

Before you begin, take notice!
- Some files you just download and wait until later steps.
- Some you install right away.
- Several of these steps will require reboot. You will be prompted by the software when that is necessary.

STEP 1. Download ATI MMC 8.7: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...ati-mmc-87.rar
** Keep this file until told to use it.

STEP 2. Download ATI MMC 8.x support files: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...1-dao-mdac.rar

STEP 3. Download newest ATI AIW 128 PRO graphics drivers:
For Windows XP: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...vers-winxp.zip
** Install this now.
NOTE: Note that ATI removed a lot of files after merging with AMD, so the links below may be dead.
The only file archived by digitalFAQ was the Windows XP version.
- For Windows 2000: http://mirror.ati.com/support/produc...2kdrivers.html
- For Windows 98/98SE/ME: http://mirror.ati.com/support/produc...medrivers.html

STEP 4. Download this exact version of the Theatre capture drivers: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...68-drivers.rar

STEP 5. Download the special "ati-mmc-128pro-hack.zip" file attached at the very bottom of this post.

STEP 6. Update your Windows so that it runs DirectX v9.0a or higher. Any DirectX version 9 will work.
Download v9.0c from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...msdirectx9.rar
** Install this now.

STEP 7. Be sure to install and download the Windows Media Player v9 and Windows Media Encoder v9. The WMP9 can be installed by doing another Windows Update.
Download from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx
Or download from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...media-enc9.rar
** Install this now.

STEP 8. Install the MDAC-DAO 8.x support file.

STEP 9. Unzip the ATI 128 HACK files. Put them in a folder on the C drive -- "C:\ATIHACK" is suggested so they are easy to find. There will only be two files.

STEP 10-A. This next step applies to Windows NT, 2000 and XP users only. If you are running Windows 98 or ME, refer to STEP 10-B. Find the "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\" folder. USERNAME will be your name. If your computer logs you on as "JOHN", the the folder structure would be "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temp\". Copy the two unzipped files from C:\ATIHACKS to this folder you just found.

STEP 10-B. This next step applies to Windows 98 and ME users only. If you are running Windows NT, 2000 or XP, refer to STEP 10-A. Find the C:\Windows\TEMP folder and copy the two unzipped files from C:\ATIHACKS to the Windows temp folder.

STEP 11. Run the FORCE87START.BAT file that is in the TEMP folder. You should see this screen:

force87start.gif

STEP 12. Install ATI MMC 8.7 ... this process should begin an actual install. If nothing happens, then try it 3-4 more times. It should catch. You will eventually see a DVD ERROR message, DO NOT HIT OK, this is good, and proceed to the next step.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

STEP 13. Now run the FORCE87DVD.BAT hack file you put into the Windows Temp folder. After this has been run, THEN you can OK the DVD error message. Continue ATI MMC install as needed.

STEP 14. If ATI MMC insists on a reboot, do NOT do it.

STEP 15. Now install the Theatre capture drivers, the file that ended with the numbers -6168v1.exe.

STEP 16. You should be done. This will have installed the ATI MMC 8.7 on the 128 PRO card that runs Theatre capture chips.

STEP 17. Finally, go into the "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main" folder and rename the file "TENSLIB1.DLL" to "TENSLIB1.OLD". This will remove the EAZYLOOK errors you would have otherwise gotten.

FINAL NOTE: I cannot guarantee this method, but I've seen it work several times. I've done it twice myself. I've never seen it fail. Be sure you followed the instructions to the letter.

Attached Files
File Type: zip ATI-MMC-128Pro-hack.zip (375 Bytes, 95 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: MatMK (12-22-2022)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-29-2004, 05:16 AM
Premium Member

Do you think its possible to install ATI MMC 9.02 on an AIW 128 Pro using the above instructions but of course substituting the mmc8.7 file with the mmc 9.x file?

Thanks
Eric
08-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Maybe. It's been so long since I put this guide together, that I've forgotten some of the coding in the hacks (BAT files). I'm afraid it may be for 8.7 only.

There is honestly not much different between 8.7 and 9.0 (or even 9.1).

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
10-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Greetings Lordsmurf,
I followed the above steps on a freshly built XP pro system with my AIW 128 pro..Everything worked as per your instructions but the TV does not appear in the ATI applet. I'm searching this forum and the rest of the web for the answer as I know many people have encounterd the missing TV function before. Thanks for any help you can provide

PS....No go on trying to install install ATI MMC 9.02
10-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Site Staff | Video

ATI applet?

Are you saying MMC will install... but without TV?
You may need to try a custom install.

10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Premium Member

Exactly...File player, video cd and audio cd all launch with no errors but the TV player is not a choice. I guess I'll have to play around with it unless you can tell me exactly what to do in a custom install. FYI..in device manager all the WDM components are "working" (no exclamation points). - DocFly
10-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Retry STEP 4, specifically, reinstalling the 6168 drivers. These are the "magic" drivers.

Worst case scenario: Uninstall EVERYTHING ATI, and then start over. Redo the 17-step process listed here in the first post.

11-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Well, I finally got 8.7 working (actually a while ago) with the TV functionallity. Had to manually update all the ATI WDM drivers to version 6.13..anyway I appreciate all your help but just found out that the recording doesn't work...screen just blinks when i hit the record button..Does same thing with a scheduled recording (tv does open up but does not start recording). Could not find answer on any forums..Any advise

Thanks
Eric
11-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

That sounds like a typical out-of-space problem. If the estimated filesize is larger than the hard drive space available, it'll either not record (button "grayed out"), or it will "blink away" when started. Go into the ONE TOUCH RECORDING settings and see where the files are going to be saved. If you need images, just ask.

Also, be sure you're really hitting the RECORD buttom (small video camera looking button), not the TIVO button or STILL IMAGE button (35mm camera looking button).

Finally, it may just be yet another bad driver install. The first time I did this hack, it took at least a dozen attempts. The drivers will just sometimes not take very well. Usually, I just tried to reintall the v6168 driver a couple of times until I saw it finally worked. I doubt this is the case this time, more likely one of the above two reasons, but possible and worth mentioning.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

11-08-2004, 01:16 AM
Premium Member

Ok...go ahead and shoot me now because I'll be asking all the old re-hashed questions...can I use the above hacks on my ATI AIW 9800 Pro? I tried the 3 "Disable Macrovision Hacks" yesterday with no luck. I'm getting the green screen when I try to copy a VHS tape.
WXP
P4 2.54
1GB RAM
ATI AIW 9800 Pro
MMC 8.5

Thanks!
11-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Well, the hacks on this page are for using ATI MMC on the ATI AIW 128PRO card. The 9800 needs no such hacks. It can natively run any version of ATI MMC 8 or 9.

See this too about MV/TBC/ATIhacks:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112

01-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Since my post of January 3 "No Sound Captured" received no responses, perhaps upgrading MMC as described in yoour post might help. Since I am using WIN98SE, Do I need to modify your instructions in any way.

Thanks,
Yargellham
01-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by yargellham
Since my post of January 3 "No Sound Captured" received no responses, perhaps upgrading MMC as described in yoour post might help. Since I am using WIN98SE, Do I need to modify your instructions in any way.

Thanks,
Yargellham
I just answered the other post for you. Some ATI MMC 8.7 hacking info is there too. You should go read that post first, before this one...

Anyway, to be honest, I don't know. Try it. And let me know how it works. Most people these days are running Windows XP because of it's advanced abilities and friendliness towards video (things like NTFS 4GB+ file sizes are valuable).

The glaring differences would be this display driver: http://mirror.ati.com/support/produc...medrivers.html for 98/ME drivers, not XP

And then the biggest concern is the TEMP FILES directory where some of the hacking takes place. This should be addressed in step 10-B just fine:

"STEP 10-B. This next step applies to Windows 98 and ME users only. If you are running Windows NT, 2000 or XP, refer to STEP 10-A. Find the C:\Windows\TEMP folder and copy the two unzipped files from C:\ATIHACKS to the Windows temp folder. "

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Your computer will not blow up. You can always just revert back to the older 7.2 if needed. But I seriously urge you to try for the far more advanced ATI MMC 8.7 version.

01-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info. Are you saying that I should use rage128prowinmedrivers.html in step 3 instead of what you have in your original procedure?

yargellham
01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by yargellham
Thanks for the info. Are you saying that I should use rage128prowinmedrivers in step 3 instead of what you have in your original procedure?

yargellham
Yes. In fact, I just made edits to the master guide (first post on this page) to include other Windows version for STEP 3. I think everything you need is now laid out, all 17 steps.

11-20-2005, 11:35 AM
Premium Member

Hi,
I realize that hacking the AIW 128 PRO to work with MMC 8.7 is getting pretty old, however for anyone having difficulty getting it to work with XP and are still interested I thought I'd post what FINALLY worked for me. I've done the hack for several people under WIN 98 SE with no problems at all but could never get it to work with XP, every time I would get a "MMC needs to close" error whenever I would launch the TV app. from the Launchpad. This occurred with both the Home and Pro versions. Anyway, this time I used the XP Microsoft Plug and Play driver that XP installs automatically and Voila!! it works. I have also noted that this driver is very stable with older vfW AVI applications like AVI_IO and pre 1.6 (DirectShow) versions of VirtualDub. The XP vfW wrapper does not like the latest ATI AIW 128 Display drivers at all! Anyway if anyone still cares at this point in time hope this helps. I've wasted far to much lifetime on this problem!!! GMaq
10-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Site Staff | Video

I just gave this old guide an update.
A lot of ATI file links were dead, so I've switched them to locally hosted installer files.

12-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Free Member

Where is the ati-mmc-128pro-hack.zip file?
01-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Hi, thanks for reporting this. I've re-attached the zip file to the first post. Additionally, a copy has also been put into the ATI MMC downloads thread at http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/show...onder-392.html

And then for the curious, here are the contents of the zip file, in plain text format, in case anybody needs to create their own files:

force87dvd.bat
Code:
move {a893306B3-C1B7-4CF0-A3F5-20C7047D6A08} {893306B3-C1B7-4CF0-A3F5-20C7047D6A08}
force87start.bat
Code:
:START
if not exist *.rra goto start
move {893306B3-C1B7-4CF0-A3F5-20C7047D6A08} {a893306B3-C1B7-4CF0-A3F5-20C7047D6A08}
I still suggest downloading the above file, just to be safe. Sometimes creating your own .bat doesn't always go as planned. (Sneaky txt editors sometimes add their own crap to your files.)

06-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Free Member

Hi folks,

As I'm working thru this procedure of hacking ATI MMC 8.7 to work on ATI AIW 128PRO, I'm getting myself confused on file names and source locations. Is it THIS file? Was it THAT one? Since I've been making myself notes on what I've been trying so far, I thought it might help someone else if I posted the notes. I figure that if my notes helped me, then maybe it'll help another newb.

Like for instance, there's reference made to "the Theater capture drivers" that were in a file with a name ending in "68-drivers.rar", which I didn't find in the thread with all the files. But there was a file called
"ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar"
that when un-rared contained a file called
"1ST tv-capture-wdm-6-13-10-6168v1.exe"
which when run says it'd install the
"tv-capture-wdm-6-13-10-6168v1.exe TV Tuner/Capture WDM Drivers"
for me. See? It's the WDM file is the capture file! As a newbie I just had trouble figuring which one was what.

I bow down before the knowledge of Admin, and whatever small effort I can add, then while doing my work I stand on the shoulders of giants like him. (Which makes that bowing down thing VERY hard to do. )

I haven't completed a 100% working software install yet, but I am fortunate to have hardware that has been proven to work in this application.

I'm going to intersperse my notes in the real, original, procedure, in BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
STEP 1. Download ATI MMC 8.7: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...ati-mmc-87.rar
This file is contained in the group of rar files named ATI-MMC-87.part#.rar where # are the numbers 1 to 4 and is on the thread with all the files

STEP 2. Download ATI MMC 8.x support files: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...1-dao-mdac.rar
These files are contained in the group of rar files named ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part#.rar and are on the thread with all the files There is another set of files names ATI-MMI-81-daomdac.part#.rar on that page, but it's a dupe of ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part#.rar and I don't think I'm going to use it.

STEP 3. Download newest ATI AIW 128 PRO graphics drivers:
For Windows XP: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...vers-winxp.zip
I THINK this file is contained in the rar file named ATI-128pro-drivers-1st-wxpw2k.rar and is on the thread with all the files. I say "I think" because I haven't been 100% successful on an install yet, and I have questions about the contents of the .INF files in that rar. @Admin or anyone: if you want to clear me up, that'd be cool.

** Install this now.
NOTE: Note that ATI removed a lot of files after merging with AMD, so the links below may be dead.
The only file archived by digitalFAQ was the Windows XP version.
- For Windows 2000: http://mirror.ati.com/support/produc...2kdrivers.html
- For Windows 98/98SE/ME: http://mirror.ati.com/support/produc...medrivers.html

STEP 4. Download this exact version of the Theatre capture drivers: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...68-drivers.rar
I think this file is contained in the rar file named ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar and is on the thread with all the files.

STEP 5. Download the special "ati-mmc-128pro-hack.zip" file attached at the very bottom of this post.
Yep, yep, yep, the file named ATI-MMC-128pro-hack.zip and is on the thread with all the files too.

STEP 6. Update your Windows so that it runs DirectX v9.0a or higher. Any DirectX version 9 will work.
Download v9.0c from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...msdirectx9.rar
** Install this now.
Now me, I did a fresh installation of a known-good distribution of XP with SP2 slip-streamed into it. That gave me DirectX9.0c. So I'm not worried about this'n. But the group of rar files named ATI-MS-DirectX-9c.part#.rar and are on the thread with all the files sure looks like the ones someone might need.

STEP 7. Be sure to install and download the Windows Media Player v9 and Windows Media Encoder v9. The WMP9 can be installed by doing another Windows Update.
Download from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx
Or download from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/downloads/...media-enc9.rar
** Install this now.
XP with SP2 slip-streamed into it gave me Windows Media Player ver 9.00.00.3250, so no worries for me.
For Windows Media Encoder, I'll use WMV9VCMSetup.exe from this Microsoft website which says the file contains "the Windows Media Video 9 encoder/decoder".

STEP 8. Install the MDAC-DAO 8.x support file.
The files from step 2, I think, ATI-6168package-4th-mdacdao.part#.rar

STEP 9. Unzip the ATI 128 HACK files. Put them in a folder on the C drive -- "C:\ATIHACK" is suggested so they are easy to find. There will only be two files.
The file from step 5, I think, named ATI-MMC-128pro-hack.zip.

STEP 10-A. This next step applies to Windows NT, 2000 and XP users only. If you are running Windows 98 or ME, refer to STEP 10-B. Find the "C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\" folder. USERNAME will be your name. If your computer logs you on as "JOHN", the the folder structure would be "C:\Documents and Settings\John\Local Settings\Temp\". Copy the two unzipped files from C:\ATIHACKS to this folder you just found.
STEP 10-B. This next step applies to Windows 98 and ME users only. If you are running Windows NT, 2000 or XP, refer to STEP 10-A. Find the C:\Windows\TEMP folder and copy the two unzipped files from C:\ATIHACKS to the Windows temp folder.
STEP 11. Run the FORCE87START.BAT file that is in the TEMP folder. You should see this screen:
Steps 10 and 11 are saying to put the FORCE87START.BAT file from ATI-MMC-128pro-hack.zip into the place Windows throws files temporarily while it's installing stuff. This'll keep going until the batch file moves what it's looking to move.

STEP 12. Install ATI MMC 8.7 ... this process should begin an actual install. If nothing happens, then try it 3-4 more times. It should catch. You will eventually see a DVD ERROR message, DO NOT HIT OK, this is good, and proceed to the next step.
The files from step 1, I think, named ATI-MMC-87.part#.rar.

STEP 13. Now run the FORCE87DVD.BAT hack file you put into the Windows Temp folder. After this has been run, THEN you can OK the DVD error message. Continue ATI MMC install as needed.
Okey doke.

STEP 14. If ATI MMC insists on a reboot, do NOT do it.
Okey doke.

STEP 15. Now install the Theatre capture drivers, the file that ended with the numbers -6168v1.exe.
The file from step 5, I think, named ATI-6168package-1st-wdm.rar.

STEP 16. You should be done. This will have installed the ATI MMC 8.7 on the 128 PRO card that runs Theatre capture chips.
STEP 17. Finally, go into the "C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main" folder and rename the file "TENSLIB1.DLL" to "TENSLIB1.OLD". This will remove the EAZYLOOK errors you would have otherwise gotten.
Okey doke.

Well, I hope you've enjoyed my notes. The process of writing them down has really helped straighten things out in my mind. Maybe the notes'll help somebody else. If they're not helpful, it's A-OK with me if ya ignore them, haha!

I still haven't sussed out where:
ATI-6168package-2nd-wme.rar and:
ATI-6168package-3rd-cp.rar
from the thread with all the files but if they were important enough to put on the page, they might be good for something.

@Admin and others: additional guidance is gratefully accepted.
Again, folks, I'm just passing along some notes that have helped me. Maybe they'll help you!
Joe
(off to start installing now!)

NOTE: I've just typed in this whole treatise here. I'm going to take a few minutes' break and then come back to edit it for my inevitable mistakes.

Edit 1: Oh yeah, the Hydravision player ATI-6168package-5th-hydra.part#.rar is for like multiheaded monitors, etc, so I'm not dealing with that one.

Last edited by Joekster; 06-04-2011 at 07:52 PM.