04-16-2020, 05:08 PM
Free Member

Hi DigitalFAQ!

*PLEASE READ WHOLE POST*
There are important details that will help with understanding.

I'm new here after scouring the web for hours on this subject. I figured I'd just ask a question here to get some personlized feedback to add to my research.

My family owns a Sony HandyCam Vision CCD-TRV815 that records to and plays back 8mm Video Hi8 XR Video Casettes. My mother also has a couple of VHS tapes with her wedding and my birth on them. After some research on this site and others, I've deduced that I can do this process myself using a capture card. Here's my current plan:

I will buy a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle. I will hook up my Sony HandyCam via S-Video cable to the Shuttle. I will attach Shuttle to my Windows 10 PC (it's a powerful gaming/work computer, in case that has any bearing). I will use OBS to interface with the Shuttle and record the footage to an external hard drive. Repeat process for the VHS tapes, but instead of the Sony HandyCam, I'll hook up a VHS Player to the Shuttle via S-Video. Voila.

Will this work fine? I've seen a few posts with replies saying I need a TBC, but after looking into what they are, I'm not certain I need one, as all the tapes remain undamaged and with no visual issues that need correcting. Will my above process yield decent quality, watchable results that my family and I can be happy with and view conveniently from time to time? These are just family videos, I do not plan on using them for any commercial or creative purposes. If any editing is done to them, it will be in removing the gaps in playback for convenience only.

Finally, if there are any comprehensive guides on this site about this subject that I can read up on, feel free to link them, just in case there are a few I have not seen/read.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate any and all help.

Last edited by thundafellow; 04-16-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundafellow View Post
I will buy a BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle. I will hook up my Sony HandyCam via S-Video cable to the Shuttle. I will attach Shuttle to my Windows 10 PC (it's a powerful gaming/work computer, in case that has any bearing). I will use OBS to interface with the Shuttle and record the footage to an external hard drive. Repeat process for the VHS tapes, but instead of the Sony HandyCam, I'll hook up a VHS Player to the Shuttle via S-Video. Voila.

Will this work fine? I've seen a few posts with replies saying I need a TBC, but after looking into what they are, I'm not certain I need one, as all the tapes remain undamaged and with no visual issues that need correcting. Will my above process yield decent quality, watchable results that my family and I can be happy with and view conveniently from time to time?
This method is a mistake, and quality will suffer.

- do not get Blackmagic HD cards for SD work
- do not use OBS (use VirtualDub instead)

External framesync TBCs are not for visual improvements, but rather signal improvement that allow for problem-free captures. The VHS VCR (S-VHS) should contain line TBC for the visual improvements. Without TBC, you will get wiggly images, color problems, dropped frames, and other signal issues. The BM card will especially choke, as it is infamous for trouble even with TBCs in the workflow.

There are some TBC(ish) budget options, if you want to avoid a TBC. However, rather than compromise quality, just buy the TBC, use it, then resell it. It's not a forever purchase, not something to stick in a drawer when done.

I have better USB cards in the marketplace subforum (ATI 600 USB clones, Pinnacle, etc), and all cost less than a Blackmagic card.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-16-2020, 05:53 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
This method is a mistake, and quality will suffer.

- do not get Blackmagic HD cards for SD work
- do not use OBS (use VirtualDub instead)

External framesync TBCs are not for visual improvements, but rather signal improvement that allow for problem-free captures. The VHS VCR (S-VHS) should contain line TBC for the visual improvements. Without TBC, you will get wiggly images, color problems, dropped frames, and other signal issues. The BM card will especially choke, as it is infamous for trouble even with TBCs in the workflow.

There are some TBC(ish) budget options, if you want to avoid a TBC. However, rather than compromise quality, just buy the TBC, use it, then resell it. It's not a forever purchase, not something to stick in a drawer when done.

I have better USB cards in the marketplace subforum (ATI 600 USB clones, Pinnacle, etc), and all cost less than a Blackmagic card.
So I just updated my post to specify the exact camera and media I'm trying to convert from.

Ok, so don't use the Shuttle. Will your USB cards work with Windows 10? Because some solutions I've been seeing use a card that will only work on Windows XP and earlier OS.
And thanks for the info about TBCs. I understand I need to use one for the VHS tapes, but do I need to use one for the Hi8 XR tapes? I've heard some HandyCams come with an internal TBC. And what about OBS makes that a bad option? What is VirtualDub and why is it preferred?
Additionally, I saw a YouTube video in which the guy used the Elgato VideoCapture with an S-Video connection and used the included software to record his Hi8 and Video8 tapes. Is this a viable option?
04-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Most Youtube videos are where newbies teach newbies (bad methods), and results are dreadful.

No, do not use Elgato cards. Known problems.

OBS is streaming capture software for video gamers. It is not meant for analog capture, and everything about it reflects this. It wants to compress footage to smithereens, lacks the video/audio monitors, is preset entirely wrong, and is about as unfriendly as can be.

VirtualDub is the #1 software for analog capturing, as has been for decades before OBS even existed.

Yes, some of the cards I have work in Windows 10, PM me.

And yes, some are also XP-only, you did read that correctly as well. That's mostly AIW cards, using systems (desktops) built only for capturing. Those are not general-use computers.

You'll want to verify in the camera menus, but yes, most Sony Hi8 cameras already have internal TBC. Not all, just most, so quickly verify. I don't remember what every model has offhand, and then a sticky for Hi8/Videeo8/D8 cameras has also been started in the Capture subforum.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs

Tags
conversion, digital, minidv, s-video, vhs