Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-03-2020, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Hello!

I have Digital8 tapes made with a still functional Sony DC-TRV340. I've tried various ways to copy these tapes into a Windows 11 Dell desktop. As there is no native Firewire port for this system and I don't really want to take the system apart to add a card, I'm interested to do copying via USB2 or USB3 which the system has plenty of.

I believe there are some nuances in setting this up as the Video Editor (Corel VideoStudio X9 and NCH Debut Video Software Capture) are actually seeing a native driver (AV to USB2) but not showing any video in the preview window when I turn the camera on as VCR and playing a tape.

Thoughts on what to examine? A different driver?

I've been trying the mini-plug output of the camera to 3-plug AV to ADVC-300 to 3-plug AV to USB2 port but no video is getting through it seems.

I'll soon try the mini-DV output of the camera to USB plug directly but not sure if that will work either.

thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-03-2020, 06:09 PM
Free Member

See my post here, Though I'm not sure about Win 11, I have Win 10.
05-04-2020, 02:51 PM
Free Member

Thank you latreche34!

Good diagrams and helpful... so on Win10 (my bad on Win 11 ) Can the dv cable (from the digi8) go straight into the computer's USB port without the intervening device? Will it be recognized by Corel or others?

regards,
Mike
05-04-2020, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

You cannot directly connect a DV (IEEE 1394) port to a USB port with any kind of simple conversion cable. They are different protocols (and more). There is a definite possibility you would even damage one of the two devices. You need a device specifically designed to talk to each connected device in it's own protocol.

Here's a useful video on the subject which supports latreche34's suggestion.

The device shown is a Pinnacle 510 which is still available new (I think).

Other than that you would need an older laptop which came with a DV port, or a PCMCIA or Express slot so you could add an IEEE 1394 adapter. They don't make them with these anymore so you'd have to look for an older laptop on eBay or something.

BW
05-05-2020, 03:25 PM
Free Member

Hello BW,

Good video but as my Dell doesn't support firewire it seems, I need to get things to USB. The diagram I was directed to referred to the Pinnacle 510-USB but this device is no longer available new. Suggestion for a different device? (I can't tell if the current Pinnacle option can create AVI?)

thanks!

Mike
05-05-2020, 04:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Hello BW,

Good video but as my Dell doesn't support firewire it seems, I need to get things to USB.
Understood. That's why you need either another laptop with firewire or something like the Pinnacle to "translate" IEE1394 to USB.

Quote:
The diagram I was directed to referred to the Pinnacle 510-USB but this device is no longer available new. Suggestion for a different device?
My mistake. I think the Pinnnacle Movie Box(es) are still your best option. It looks like you will have to find something used.
Here's
a good possibility on eBay.

There are different models. Make sure you get one that supports DV (IEE1394) in and USB (only) out. These are (at least) the 500, 510 and 700 (flat blue). Ironically you do not want the "Movie Box DV" (flat silver) because it is DV out only (no USB out) which is exactly what you can't use. There are also some older ones (flat white?) that are USB out but do not have DV in.

Quote:
(I can't tell if the current Pinnacle option can create AVI?)
I believe that all the Pinnacle's listed above will create a "DV" file as an AVI using either the Pinnacle Studio software (need a later version to work with Win 10 - cheap on eBay) or can use another DV transfer program that works under Win 10. Once you have the correct device and the correct drivers installed you should have multiple transfer options such as ScenalyzerLive which is said to work in Win 10 per the link latreche34 provided earlier.

BW
05-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Free Member

You can't find this stuff new in the store, You have to buy used ones, here is one on ebay he is selling both the external 500-USB and a PCI card as extra. Use ScenalizerLive for transfer.
06-01-2020, 06:32 PM
Free Member

I’ve tried to find the MovieMaker with digital input but very few options and those are overpriced. Anyone willing to loan me one for a month? I’ll cover shipping.....

Thanks!
Mike
06-01-2020, 09:55 PM
Free Member

You missed a lot of listings since then, You just have to keep an eye online.
06-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Free Member

It might be easier to hunt down an older used laptop or desktop pc with a firewire port. Those pinnacle dongles are a bit rare.

Tags
trv340 transfer