05-01-2020, 05:36 PM
Free Member

Hi

My first question is how to capture audio signal with Ati 600USB? I have always some noise in the audio. I'm using Line-In. I tried to do some test but i'm not getting any audio from rca cables with ati 600usb. Also in VirtualDub there is no ATI Wonder 600USB option in Audio Devices?

Second is how to capture Hi-fi track. Does every tape has hi-fi track and how to select it in VCR - Panasonic Nv-FS200???
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Free Member

Every VHS tape has a linear track, which is almost always mono. (A few older VHS recorders dating to the 1980s could record/play stereo on the linear track, but they were few and far between and basically disappeared shortly after the introduction of Hi-Fi VHS recording.)

Some VHS recordings have a Stereo/Hi-Fi track, but not all. It was common on commercial tapes of Hollywood movies, but much less common on home recordings. The camcorder or VCR that made the tape had to support stereo/Hi-Fi recording and that capability was generally found on the higher end models, but not in base models. The stereo'Hi-Fi sound was usually mixed and recorded in mono on the linear track. In a few cases the linear track might have a separate audio signal recorded to it but this usually implied use of an editing capable machine. Also, in some rare case the linear track may have been used to record linear time code for editing purposes.

How you select the Hi-Fi or linear track will depend on the VCR in question and should be detailed in its user manual. Hi-Fi capable VCRs will normally play the linear track if no Hi-Fi track is detected.
05-02-2020, 05:24 AM
Free Member

I did not find anything in the menu of my nv-fs200 for switching between 2 audio streams. Yes it is able to record on tapes with hi-fi but thats all. There is "STEREO" on the display which which should lights up when there is hi-fi track on the tape...ok...

so there will be no difference in audio quality no matter if i use line-in or rca ati600usb cable?

Once again how can I run audio from ati 600usb ?
05-02-2020, 06:58 AM
Free Member

Just hookup the audio cables to the ATI 600 and in PC sound control select the ATI 600. The VCR remote or front panel should have audio out button to select audio track type, And it should be in the manual if you really have read it.
05-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
I did not find anything in the menu of my nv-fs200 for switching between 2 audio streams.
Assuming the NV-FS200 is like the AG-1980, there is a separate RCA jack on the back that provides linear track audio output even when a Hi-Fi track is present. The "Audio Out" button on the front panel rotates between: Hi-Fi Stereo, Hi-Fi Left, Hi-Fi Right, Normal (Hi-Fi Off) when all are present. (When only the linear track is present the letters L and R do not appear under the VU meter bars.)

On some menu-driven VCR's the linear track is also called "Normal" and the choices on the menu are "Stereo" or "HiFi" and "Normal."
05-02-2020, 10:03 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latreche34 View Post
Just hookup the audio cables to the ATI 600 and in PC sound control select the ATI 600. The VCR remote or front panel should have audio out button to select audio track type, And it should be in the manual if you really have read it.
There is no ATI600USB option in sound control/playback/recording... the device does not show up there at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalomaki View Post
Assuming the NV-FS200 is like the AG-1980, there is a separate RCA jack on the back that provides linear track audio output even when a Hi-Fi track is present. The "Audio Out" button on the front panel rotates between: Hi-Fi Stereo, Hi-Fi Left, Hi-Fi Right, Normal (Hi-Fi Off) when all are present. (When only the linear track is present the letters L and R do not appear under the VU meter bars.)

On some menu-driven VCR's the linear track is also called "Normal" and the choices on the menu are "Stereo" or "HiFi" and "Normal."
Audio Out button doesnt change anything. I see the VU metter scale, the lights jumping all the time. I need to test with more tapes.
05-02-2020, 10:23 AM
Free Member

The Audio Out button will only have an effect if the VHS tape has a readable HiFi tracks.

Seeing a lit L and/or R under the VU bars indicates reading the HiFi tracks.
05-02-2020, 12:22 PM
Free Member

If you don't see it in windows sound control panel means you need a driver.
05-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Free Member

I see the device in Video section and capturing with VirtualDub + line-in.

how the drivers working and in the same time something is missing?
05-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Free Member

Some VCR's or combo's have HDMI out there are HDMI audio extractors, some also have an optical out (toslink)
question only.... will there any difference in quality, or will there even be more noise generated this way, it's try worth with right equipment. The VHS HiFi track is PCM encoded....
05-02-2020, 02:06 PM
Free Member

If you are getting video and no audio in vdub it looks like a driver problem, try locating a driver for your OS version.
07-03-2020, 01:58 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Some misinformation in this thread.

There's no missing driver, no problem.

- ATI 600 USB does not have a sound control in Windows. Almost no capture cards has audio controls in the OS itself.

- Audio preview during capture (in VirtualDub) is disabled by default, and will cause dropped frames when enabled. Almost all cards disallow preview, and will cause dropped frames. To get preview, you have to route extra audio to the sound card.

- The audio capture device is just the default "capture device", there is no special labeled "ATI 600 USB" audio.
Device > ATI TV 600 USB
Audio > 0: Capture device

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs