Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-15-2021, 09:13 PM
Free Member

I'm pulling my hair out over this. I have a pinnacle moviebox 710, with the default drivers windows installs, running windows 10 on an XPS 15, and the latest Virtualdub 1.10.4. I'm having some extremely unusual problems trying to capture a tape.

Firstly, I have no video preview. Absolutely nothing, not just a black screen but literally nothing. I get audio, but literally no video preview. This happens on both composite and S-Video, and I did use crossbarthing to try S-Video. Either way, I also have zero options under Video Source and Audio Input.

Second, my captures are turning up frozen on the first frame. Basically, if I capture a very short clip, even with no preview it works. If I capture anything longer than a minute maybe, the end result is a perfectly fine video file that display just the first frame for the entire runtime. The file isn't corrupted, the audio plays fine, the video stream just displays the first frame the whole time. This happens with both uncompressed and lagarith (I prefer a codec that adobe media encoder can understand, so I can convert after deinterlacing in VD).

So, went to device manager and uninstalled the moviebox and deleted all drivers, let it reinstall itself and nothing. I switched from plugging into a hub and capturing to an external, to plugged straight in and capturing internally and nothing. I deleted VD and redownloaded it, and the very first moment I booted it up I had a very messed up video preview. It was about 3fps and was the most distorted thing you've ever seen. Started capturing, display went away, end product was still stuck on the first frame and the video preview was gone again.

I just can't figure out what's wrong. My best guess is that windows 10 is simply too new and some recent update has destroyed the ability to capture tapes with the 710. If that's the case, I'll have to dig out my old windows 7 laptop. Still, any help or advice would be greatly appeciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Tags
moviebox, problem, virtualdub, windows 10