Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf I am sending you this post directly because I was not sure it would be appropriate in the general discussion section. I know sometimes people take things personally. Sanlyn had mentioned in the post that in the past he used the Panasonic 7650 and seemed reasonable happy with the results. However I found the post copied below from orsetto and your response on the Videohelp Forum from Dec 2009. This is why on my first and only post I wrote “I bought a Panasonic 7650 Pro SVHS deck. I have since learned this wasn’t the most brilliant move.”

As you can see some people do not like the 7650 at all for transfers. You seemed to agree at the time. I sent this message directly to you so that an argument between you and others may not take place. However if you find it appropriate for general discussion I have no problem. I am new to forums, this is my first, so I did not want to be rude and have a post displayed from 7 years ago in general discussion. I am sure you do not even remember posting it. Do you still think the 7650 is a very bad choice for transfers?

Below is a verbatim copy of the two post from Video Help Forum

Quote:
Orsetto @ 2nd Dec 2009 13:40

These "ultra-pro" Panasonics are fun to play with and look great on a shelf, but thats it. They are so far beyond overkill for consumer-made tapes that its not even funny: like trying to thread a needle with a tree branch. Units like the 7650 are optimized for pro-recorded VHS, made on pro hardware like the 7650 itself. Yeah, it may have cost $8000 back in the day, and have the optional $2000 TBC card, but a "pro-sumer" AG1980 will outperform it by miles if a consumer-made tape is loaded. A high-end JVC will also bury a 7650 for transfer to DVD.

Models like the 7650 were designed for analog post-production studios, to much higher standards than even the best consumer gear. They're the ultimate example of "garbage in, garbage out": no matter how good you might think your tapes are, they are crap compared to tapes recorded on a 7650-level vcr itself, and it will play them like crap. An AG1980 or JVC 9600 has reading specifications matched to typical consumer tapes, and processing circuits optimized to conceal their flaws. Thats why a clean AG1980 still fetches $125-350, while an AG7650 sells for less than the cost to ship it.
Quote:
lordsmurf @ 2nd Dec 2009 13:52

Hahaha ... I just love the way your describe some of these VCRs. So brutally true.
The one line above is all you commented at the time.
Thank You Zeeboos

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-29-2016, 08:32 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
It's just not a great deck.
These are suggested: http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...ing-guide.html

Discussing VCRs is fair, nobody should argue here.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs