Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Free Member

Send a message via Skype™ to CarlEHL
I'm replacing a 2011 Windows 7 machine with a 2020 Windows 10 one, but plan to keep using same Pinnacle Dazzle and VirtualDub for video capture. Suddenly after seconds from hitting 'capture', the preview window disappeared from the GUI. The only way I found to bring it back was renaming VirtualDub's folder, but again it went away after the first seconds of capture and so on. I know VirtualDub still sees video because it gets correctly captured, but many of us can agree it's important to watch the video material we're capturing. I've been reading some of the relevant threads and seems Windows 10 and Nvidia could be acting as problems in the way, I regret my new machine has Win10, Nvidia and this capture problem. A fact aside is that I can see VirtualDub displays thee video properly by peeking in 'cropping', I wish it could display it in preview too. Another fact is that 'Overlay' vs 'Preview' seem irrelevant (none of them works). My Nvidia Control Panel seems quite new and different from what forum threads describe. I've read also, that ffdshow has helped some people, I'll give it a try, but would like to ask some feedback about this VirtualDub vs Windows 10 & Nvidia thing... That could help me decide what new steps to perform (fingers crossed) solving this issue.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-25-2021, 12:26 PM
Free Member

Try using onboard graphics with Virutaldub versus Nvidia. Depending on the version of Windows 10 you have, Windows now apparently overrides the Nvidia settings. Also, your motherboard has to support "on-board graphics".

Search Graphics Settings in Windows using Windows search or using "Find a Setting" in the Display settings dialog. Then, Add Virtualdub to set preference if not there already. In the options, set It should show a Power saving GPU and a High performance GPU. Hopefully, the Power saving GPU has Intel HD Graphics (or something similar) and High Performance GPU has NVIDIA. Then you can just select the preference to Power saving GPU (Intel HD Graphics).

If both (Power Saving and High Performance GPU) options show Nvidia, you need to check if your motherboard supports "on-board" graphics. I had to go to the System BIOS settings, chipset options, and enable on board graphics. Every motherboard is different, mine was initially set to Automatic. After I changed it to Enable and rebooted, the computer installed the Intel Graphics application. Then, I went back into the Windows Graphics settings were I was previously, and checked the options for Virtualdub again. And this time, Intel HD graphics was listed as the power saving GPU.

Also, I just noticed I have an app "Intel Graphics Command Center", I'm not sure if this is the Intel Graphics application that was installed when I enabled the on-board graphics. So, I would check this first. It might be an indication that on-board graphics is already set-up.
The following users thank stymie for this useful post: CarlEHL (04-27-2021)
04-27-2021, 05:30 PM
Free Member

Thanks,

Using on-board graphics for VirtualDub instead of Nvidia just started being a hard goal for me and my setup. Beginning with Windows 10 20H1 (mine is 20H2), OS assigns the graphics processor to use for various applications, and overrides any settings made in the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor setting for that application. I'm afraid my motherboard doesn't support "on-board graphics", closest thing I've found in the Dell G5 5000 specs is that it has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER discrete GPU and an Intel H470 chipset, and no relevant setting in BIOS was found. Adding a Graphics Settings entry for VirtualDub in Windows offers Windows decision, Power Saving with the Nvidia and High Performance with the Nvidia too. NVIDIA Control Panel documentation says "If the OS does not have a GPU preference for an application, then you can specify the preferred graphics processor to use from the NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor setting", Setting I didn't find. I attempted the ffdshow trick with no success. My resource was to attach "Y" RCA cables to send the video signal to the Dazzle and to a monitor with RCA input at the same time to be able to preview. Would there be another step to try shed some hope?
05-03-2021, 05:46 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
This is why NOT using Win10 is suggested.
It's a tablet/Facebook OS that completely sucks at many serious tasks, including video capture.

So:
- another SSD or HDD
- hardware switch to swap drive power, aka hardware boot swap

Then do video in WinXP or Win7.
Swap back to Win10 for doing whatever you do there.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: CarlEHL (05-04-2021)
05-03-2021, 06:19 PM
Free Member

FWIW, I got the same problem today. I've tried Virtualdub2 64 and Virtualdub 32 -- same deal, with preview window vanishing when capture starts and returning when it ends. I don't know if this is Windows Update-related, as that has killed preview before, as I didn't do any Updates until after this started appearing amid an otherwise problem-free capture run this afternoon.
The following users thank cygnals for this useful post: CarlEHL (05-04-2021)
05-03-2021, 09:15 PM
Free Member

Update: Found an option I'd never seen before. In Capture mode, under Capture, just below full-screen is "Hide display on capture." No idea how it got ticked, since I'm rarely near that menu and there's no keyboard shortcut I could've mashed. Anyway, that solved it for me for now.
The following users thank cygnals for this useful post: CarlEHL (05-04-2021)
05-04-2021, 01:23 PM
Free Member

Fortunately I still have my Win7 machine, but sometimes will be occupied by another relative, so I'll take turns with both PCs. I tried VirtualDub2 seeing preview working, but I prefer LordSmurf's version and RCA signal divisor to preview in a monitor. I played with the "Hide display on capture" setting but no luck. I'll post my findings in Win10 vs Win7 soon.

Tags
nvidia, preview, virtualdub, windows 10