Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
05-29-2021, 08:50 AM
Free Member

Okay, i have a few threads here laying out my simple quest of Xfring Hi8 to Digital.

I am running into a problem that i cant sort out.

I am capturing on a Win 7 machine with VirtualDub with the Lagarith CODEC. I then put it on a USB drive and copy it over to my Win 10 machine.

I have attached a photo image of the windows explorer menu.

Some videos work, others dont. ONE freezes Vegas.

They ALL play on the Windows 7 machine. On the windows 7 machine they all have thumbnails. On Win10, only the files that play in vegas have thumbnails. I am using a brand new 2TB USB drive.

Here is a video of my issue too https://youtu.be/ZMI2CKZkCeM

A couple of these tapes i have transferred 4 times with different outcomes. Its getting exhausting transferring the same tapes over and over. Just when i think i am making progress i realize i am standing still.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6328.jpg (92.7 KB, 3 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

05-29-2021, 10:15 AM
Free Member

Odd. Have you got the Lagarith codec installed on your Win 10 machine?

For more troubleshooting, install Mediainfo, open the files and compare the info given. There may be a clue in there, showing what is different with the files that don't like Vegas/don't have thumbnails.
06-01-2021, 11:37 AM
Free Member

I 'think' i have ID'd the problem. Its my brand new 2TB USB drive. Since i got it its been super slow on Xfr speeds. I mean REALLY slow.

This weekend out of pure frustration i plugged in a removeable WD usb hard drive. Speeds are respectable now AND....my transfers seem to be working without a hitch.

I guess i just assumed that all USB drives were created equal.

I'll be sending this one back to Amazon in the next fews days!
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I WONDER if it has anything to do with an old Win7 computer using old USB technology and me trying to get newer flash drives to play nice? I've no idea.
06-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,481 Times in 2,110 Posts
You cannot capture to USB drives. It's too slow. USB is not sustained, but burst. That causes problems.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
06-01-2021, 01:24 PM
Free Member

LS,
Capturing to an internal SSD drive (not USB). Thats not the issue. Seems when i copy the video file from the SSD to the USB....something strange happens. Maybe the individual files are too big?

Not sure.

What i do know is the USB external SSD drive seems to be working fine for me now.