Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-04-2021, 12:24 PM
Free Member

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and to capturing/copying old videos. I have a UK PAL Panasonic NV-DX100 with MiniDV tapes of my family that I wish to digitise on my Mac. The Mac is running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. I am using a Firewire connector from the NV-DX100 to the Mac. The good news is that it works!

I have managed to capture footage using QuickTime, iMovie and OBS. iMovie enables me to control the camcorder via the Firewire connection and captures the date and time of shooting. The quality on the preview screen looks reasonably good, but it shows interlacing artefacts. When I import the movie, the interlacing artefacts disappear, but the video quality seems to be degraded.

I am wondering whether iMovie may be throwing away half of the the fields and line doubling to produce a progressive format. The quality with QuickTime imports is similar to with iMovie. OBS provides a lot more video recording options, but strangely it does not detect the sound part of the DV interface.

Ideally, I would like to find Mac software that copies the DV from the camcorder losslessly, without deinterlacing and to a choice of formats including ProRes 422. Then, I plan to use Hybrid and QTGMC, which I already have working on captured S-VHS-C movies, to do the deinterlacing and any other quality enhancements.

Virtualdub and Scene Analyzer seem to be popular software on this forum, but sadly they do not work on Macs. Do you have any other suggestions please?

Thanks in advance, Graham
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

Tags
capture, firewire, mac, minidv, software