Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Free Member

I'm setting up passthrough on a DMR-ES15 for the first time to take advantage of its TBC(ish) capability.

I was wondering if these settings look correct?

ES10 passthrough:
- s-video in to LINE 1 (on the back).
- rear output goes to the next item in the pipeline so display is shown in virtualdub.
- turn ES10 on
- Press "Input Select" button on remote and set input source to "IN1". (These match the inputs on the back)
- On the remote: hit the "Display" button and adjust the settings as follows:
-- Without a playable DVD inserted. Video menu > Line-in NR > Off
-- Insert a playable DVD and hit the "Stop" button, then adjust:
--- Display > Video menu > Picture > Normal
--- Display > Video menu > DNR > Off
--- Display > Audio menu > V. Surround Sound > Off
--- Display > Audio menu > Dialog Enhancer > Off

Thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-02-2021, 03:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113pigeon View Post
-- Insert a playable DVD and hit the "Stop" button, then adjust:
--- Display > Video menu > Picture > Normal
--- Display > Video menu > DNR > Off
--- Display > Audio menu > V. Surround Sound > Off
--- Display > Audio menu > Dialog Enhancer > Off
None of these settings matter. They only affect DVD playback, not passthrough (which is why you need to have a DVD inserted to adjust them).

The settings that matter are:
1. Line-in NR set to Off (which you did).
2. Black Level Control, found in the Settings menu. In my experience, the correct setting is Lighter-Darker. (i.e. Input Lighter, Output Darker.)

Note that I'm referring to NTSC models. I don't know whether the PAL models offer Black Level Control for NTSC sources (and there is no reason to include this feature for PAL sources).

Last edited by msgohan; 11-02-2021 at 03:40 PM.
The following users thank msgohan for this useful post: 113pigeon (11-02-2021), ThumperStrauss (01-25-2022)
11-02-2021, 04:13 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post
None of these settings matter. They only affect DVD playback, not passthrough (which is why you need to have a DVD inserted to adjust them).

2. Black Level Control, found in the Settings menu. In my experience, the correct setting is Lighter-Darker. (i.e. Input Lighter, Output Darker.)

Note that I'm referring to NTSC models. I don't know whether the PAL models offer Black Level Control for NTSC sources (and there is no reason to include this feature for PAL sources).
Thanks! I didn't think those 4 settings should matter, so I appreciate you confirming. The related posts I found (Post 1, Post 2) mentioned turning DNR off (not NR), so I figured it was important for some reason, but when those posts state "DNR", I'm guessing they mean the "NR" setting.
11-02-2021, 04:19 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgohan View Post

Interestingly my DMR-ES15 (which I just got a few days ago) is currently set to Input level Darker and Output level Lighter. The opposite of your recommendations. I'm going to switch them to see the difference. Thanks!
11-02-2021, 04:30 PM
Free Member

One more question:

Do the "digital Audio Output" settings have an impact for passthrough?

They are found via the "Functions" button on remote > Other Functions > Setup > Audio > Digital Audio Output.
  • PCM Down Conversion: "Off" or "On" (mine is set to OFF)
  • Dolby Digital: Bitstream or "PCM" (mine is set to Bitstream)
  • DTS: Bitstream or "PCM" (mine is set to Bitstream)

Attached Images
File Type: png vlcsnap-2021-11-02-17h26m32s814.png (265.0 KB, 6 downloads)
11-03-2021, 09:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113pigeon View Post
One more question:

Do the "digital Audio Output" settings have an impact for passthrough?

They are found via the "Functions" button on remote > Other Functions > Setup > Audio > Digital Audio Output.
  • PCM Down Conversion: "Off" or "On" (mine is set to OFF)
  • Dolby Digital: Bitstream or "PCM" (mine is set to Bitstream)
  • DTS: Bitstream or "PCM" (mine is set to Bitstream)
Disregard these questions. I now realize that "digital audio output" is different from "composite audio output". (I wish I could just delete or edit the above post). Sorry!

Tags
dmr-es15, dnr, es15, passthrough