Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-01-2022, 05:19 PM
Free Member

Using a clean source on my Sony SLV-575UC, I record a sample segment on the SP speed of a blank tape.

When I playback the recorded segment in Hi-fi, the Right channel is very hissy, and the audio can hardly be heard. The left channel plays okay.

When I record over a previously recorded segment, the video blanks out first, but the previous audio can still be heard for a few seconds before the new segment plays. Is it a problem with the erase head? I have access to the schematic if necessary.

Playback of pre-taped and other vcr-sourc recorded videos play fine in Hi-fi mode and standard mode.

Last edited by starbond; 04-01-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-01-2022, 09:39 PM
Free Member

If prerecorded/commercial tapes play back OK in both stereo and linear (normal) track modes the right channel issue may be with the input audio preamps.

Normal track audio can have high hiss levels. Also, normal track audio level could be low of the left and right channel inputs are were out of phase.

Note that unless a VCR has "flying erase heads" attempting to insert a new recording over an old recording will result glitches in the image and sound at the start and end of the inserted video. This is due to the physical spacing between the full tape width erase head, the video/HiFi heads and the audio/control head.
04-01-2022, 11:04 PM
Free Member

I will also add, sending the signal out to the TV plays the source material fine, as in switching to Line 1 and playing the content pass-thru, so i dont think its the physical connections or pre-amp? If I take the same source and record on another VCR with the same tape, the recorded video plays just as well as the source.