06-02-2022, 06:18 AM
Free Member

Hi there,

I've converted hundreds of VHS tapes now, all using principles gleaned from this fine forum, so I'm hoping somebody will be able to help me now.

I recently took on conversion of a number of Betamax tapes. I bought a Sanyo VTC-5000 reconditioned deck that has had new heads fitted, new belts, some of its capacitors replaced etc. I am able to get a decent picture out of some tapes. Others are plagued with mould and I am currently evaluating how to attempt to clean them before putting them anywhere near the deck.

The attached clip, however, is from a clean-looking Kodak Betamax L750 cassette. I'm wondering whether anyone has experience of this type of picture interference before and would be able to suggest what is causing it? It runs throughout all three hours of footage, pretty much. I've tried hand-turning the tape through a pair of chamois swabs (though dry, not soaked in alcohol - the only time I ever tried doing a 'damp' clean with a VHS tape, I made it way too wet and the gathering spool of tape looked a right mess), and this is the footage from a 'cleaned' part of the tape.

Hope someone can help. Is it the tape surface itself? Maybe a glitch on the deck? I've tried all limits of tracking adjustment, with no success. Maybe it's the tape housing (long shot, I know - it looks fine, with no obvious squeaks, rattles or cracks).

Interested to hear any suggestions!

Kind regards to all,

Discy

Attached Files
File Type: avi Beta sample 2.avi (64.65 MB, 22 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors