Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
07-29-2022, 06:58 AM
Free Member

Hi,

I'm new to capturing VHS and getting mixed results. I've read that adding a lossless compressor to the capture could help reduce frame drops and desync. So far I have been working without. Some captures are flawless, some are out of sync.

No matter what I do, no option to add a compressor is there. I have tried everything, everything, for hours, using threads in this forum as a guide, but no luck. Not really sure what to do from here on out.

This is in Virtualdub2. Curiously older versions of the program receive audio but no video input, so trying to use them doesn't seem possible right now.

Thanks so much in advance for any help.

Attached Images
File Type: png nocomp.PNG (9.1 KB, 12 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-29-2022, 07:08 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsy View Post
I've read that adding a lossless compressor to the capture could help reduce frame drops and desync.
No.
That's like suggesting farting while driving helps the car go faster. While drops and sync can have a correlation (though not necessarily), there's really zero correlation for lossless.

What were you doing before? (Not that you'd want to go back, just for information here.)

Quote:
This is in Virtualdub2.
Don't use that. It often induces dropped frames, the capture function is bad. The 2 fork dev broke it.

Quote:
Curiously older versions of the program receive audio but no video input,
What card?
What OS?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Deadsy (07-29-2022)
07-29-2022, 08:49 AM
Free Member

Lordsmurf,

I have a doctor's appointment very soon but when I get back I'll edit my post to include all details. Thanks!
07-29-2022, 10:06 AM
Free Member

Probably your VirtualDub2 is 64-bit and your HuffYUV is 32-bit, or vice-versa.

You can install both versions of HuffYUV at the same time, then you don't have to worry. https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers
The following users thank hofmand for this useful post: Deadsy (07-29-2022), lordsmurf (07-29-2022)
07-29-2022, 11:06 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
No.
That's like suggesting farting while driving helps the car go faster. While drops and sync can have a correlation (though not necessarily), there's really zero correlation for lossless.

What were you doing before? (Not that you'd want to go back, just for information here.)
Lordsmurf,

Great, that's good to know that's one less thing to worry about. If video compression during capture is of no issue and doesn't affect anything regarding performance of capture / sync, then I need not worry about it and can move onto the next issues.

I can't edit my original post, so I'll make a new post with all details of how I've been performing the captures and specifications. Actually I'd like to make a new thread as the main question here has been answered.

Quote:
Don't use that. It often induces dropped frames, the capture function is bad. The 2 fork dev broke it.
Good to know. Unfortunately as I said, an older version (1.10.4) doesn't recognise my capture card or allow me to capture, but 2 does. Shall I hunt for other older versions and keep trying them all if 2 is no good? What is the most recommended one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post

You can install both versions of HuffYUV at the same time, then you don't have to worry. https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers
Hofmand,

Unfortunately I've already tried installing both versions with no luck, and I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of VirtualDub2.

Thank you for the responses. You're welcome to close this thread as I will make a new one outlining the main issues that I have performing captures.
07-29-2022, 11:25 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadsy View Post
If video compression during capture is of no issue
I didn't say that. It fully depends on factors. Capturing lossless won't magically resolve dropped frames or audio sync. But compression is one issue, of many, that causes problems. Details matter.

Quote:
Good to know. Unfortunately as I said, an older version (1.10.4)
That's also a bad version. Use 1.9.x

Quote:
I've tried both 32 and 64 bit versions of VirtualDub2.
Don't do that. Use 32 only (x86).

The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Deadsy (07-29-2022)
07-29-2022, 12:37 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I didn't say that. It fully depends on factors. Capturing lossless won't magically resolve dropped frames or audio sync. But compression is one issue, of many, that causes problems. Details matter.
What I meant was if compression during captures isn't something that will help my issues that there's no need to get the codecs working.

Quote:
That's also a bad version. Use 1.9.x
Don't do that. Use 32 only (x86).
Good to know, I'll look into this right now.

EDIT: I tried 1.9.11 - works in general with a quick test capture, both video and audio, but cannot see video previews. I've mostly been capturing blind, but I still need to see what I'm doing outside of captures. I'll try restarting the PC. Any pointers appreciated. Further testing would be needed to see if there's any sync issues.

I'm about to post my new thread, thanks for help thus far.

Last edited by Deadsy; 07-29-2022 at 01:02 PM.
07-31-2022, 08:43 AM
Premium Member

I had the same/similar issue re codecs not installing in Windows 10. Here is my post after I solved it.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post81616
08-07-2022, 07:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofmand View Post

Since Github is NOT a user friendly site, I've attached the binaries here:

Attached Files
File Type: zip HuffYUV_x64_v2_1_1.zip (29.6 KB, 33 downloads)
File Type: zip HuffYUV_x86_v2_1_1.zip (22.6 KB, 27 downloads)

08-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Free Member

I'm thinking of making a VirtualDub installer that includes HuffYUV and some useful filters, to eliminate the 32/64 confusion.
01-27-2024, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

This is an update for Windows 11 it works perfectly for me. Please note he places the extracted folders in c:\utils if you use a different foledr change that in the commands.
https://lifeofageekadmin.com/install...ows-10-64-bit/

The Diamond USB capture dongle works well in windows 10 and 11 it has been noted there can be different chipsets used at times so do your research. I rout the audio through my sound card, doing this no frames are dropped. I use Veedub64 as wellbut the instructions here are exactly the same.
https://lifeofageekadmin.com/how-to-...on-windows-10/