Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-03-2022, 10:29 PM
Unconfirmed User

I came across this unit that states it incorporates a frame TBC. I searched the forum and the internet broadly for any additional details or review of the device. Curious if anyone has taken a look at it?

If you are familiar, would you mind sharing your opinions on the device's suitability as a frame tbc for home transfer projects?

https://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A0...nchronization/
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-04-2022, 03:52 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Flawed chipset Cypress, aka "black AVT-8710" and others. These cause dropped frames, frame sticking, ghosting, etc.

Do not buy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: tape (03-04-2022)
03-04-2022, 03:57 AM
Unconfirmed User

Thanks lordsmurf!
07-30-2022, 12:26 PM
Free Member

...are you sure about this? Have you tried one of these? Who's to say some of these don't have the original chipset? I'd say it's certainly worth investigating further considering the prices of the 'good' TBCs nowadays (also, many of the rack-mount broadcast style TBCs are indeed fine with consumer tapes - I use a For-A FA310 at work and it works completely fine with consumer tapes)!)
07-30-2022, 01:57 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty666cats View Post
...are you sure about this?
100% positive.

Quote:
Who's to say some of these don't have the original chipset?
No. The units available there are the EOL models with known issues.

Quote:
I'd say it's certainly worth investigating further considering the prices of the 'good' TBCs nowadays
No. You'll only be wasting time and funds for a known-bad/flawed unit.

Quote:
(also, many of the rack-mount broadcast style TBCs are indeed fine with consumer tapes - I use a For-A FA310 at work and it works completely fine with consumer tapes)!)
No. The FA-310 is a standard "pizza box" type unit with function and features meant for non-consumer sources (ie not VHS, etc). For.A broadcaster units are known to have issues with consumer videotapes, with the sole exception probably being the FA-125 (which behaves somewhat like a TBC-1000).

There are always people that claim that __ is "fine", but there's always a gap in the info. A main issue is that video novices don't know what they don't know. For example, accepting bad quality because of the false logic of "all VHS looks bad" or "it can't look any better". Some are entirely oblivious to issues, as they don't actually watch what is transferred. I may seem dismissive, but I've seen this time and again for decades. Not just years, decades.

I've tested most TBCs extensively, and the only full-body broadcast units that does consistently decent is the I.Den IVT-7. But you must find one in good condition, which will never happen. The components are too aged, most were abused in typical broadcast setups.

None of this is the gear you want for quality videotape>digital transfer.

07-30-2022, 06:54 PM
Free Member

I used a FA-310 chained with an AG-1980 on numerous consumer VHS tapes earlier today and it looked great to me… just gotta spend a minute dialing-in proc amp settings.

Shame about the GlobalMedia
08-01-2022, 07:20 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty666cats View Post
I used a FA-310 chained with an AG-1980 on numerous consumer VHS tapes earlier today and it looked great to me… just gotta spend a minute dialing-in proc amp settings.
One of the downsides of the AG-1980 is that it hides issues, makes the issues harder to see. The "JVC menu test" is often an easy way to see problems. Understand the problems exist regardless of deck, merely that the JVC menu acts as a sort of test pattern. Noting that actual test patterns are not useful for testing TBCs. When I test TBCs, the AG-1980 is last, if even paired for a test.

Sometimes the field TBC of the AG-1980 also pre-cleans partial signal, and any latter TBC in the workflow is weak. And when paired to other devices, the TBC fails. This should not be interpreted as Panasonic good, others bad, as that's not accurate, and the decks are merely different (each with pros, cons). Simply that the difference arrives as this outcome. The TBC can still be weak, be a problem.

Again, I know these models of TBCs are not good for this task. And although I'm skeptical, there's always a chance that your 1980, and this TBC, have seemingly paired well. That does happen with other models of TBC. The frame TBC sucks beyond the AG-1980 pairing. There's also scenarios where one 1980 pairs well, but another 1980 balks, as the 1980 had production variations, even with TBC.

TBCs are screwy things, when you leave the mainstream, and get into fringe gear (for this task, such as broadcast rackmounts for non-broadcast/consumer use). Lots of issues, caveats, workarounds, sacrifices.

Again, I'm dubious, but interesting. My advice would be to look closely at errors, be it levels/values, or something nastier on screen. The TBC may be the cause, not a tape.