09-05-2022, 03:04 PM
Free Member

I have a BVP-4 and a Studio 1 Productions (Sign Video) dual proc amp that I rarely use these days. Both are in working order and I plan to sell one. I do not see many offered for sale on the web these days, wonder which I should sell and what the going rates are for them. Both are clean, work, have original power adapters and user guides. I intend to keep one. Any thoughts?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-05-2022, 03:39 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
BVP-4 Plus:

MSRP was about $750, I have a receipt. Resale sometimes touched this.

2000s resale was about $425 for units in good shape.

Early 2010s resale was about $225, but this was a lull in video gear. Some people picked up cheap TBCs, capture cards, etc, during those days. Those days are long gone. This is when I picked up my own MIB unit for $450, all original documentation, disc, receipt, etc.

Late 2010s saw $425 come back.

Then something odd happened. There was a Reddit-fueled surge for "artistic video" (intentionally damaging video for art), I forget the exact terms they use, or even the subreddit where this all goes on. Many of them are on this site, as members or lurkers/readers. They began to snap up BVP4 units, as they truly are some of the best for this weird neat hobby, as the proc amp has violent illegal value options.

So current price should be in the $450-750 range.

SignVideo/Studio1 proc amp:

These have never really sold below original prices, unless broken.

And eBay has had quite a few broken units in the past decade, mostly irreparable. Hamfisted moron users (often kids in school/college) turned knobs roughly, and it broke or damaged the internals. So knobs didn't work, or the signal went wonky during turning. eBay sellers are also idiots, so these got further destroyed by awful packaging for shipping (no padding, incomplete padding, wrong padding).

These were somewhat fragile units, so even well cared for units sometimes had issues.

A flawless unit is fair value of at least $300, the MSRP. (There actually was no "MSRP", as these were all sold direct from SignVideo/Studio1.)

These still sell in communities, and privately, just not eBay.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
09-05-2022, 06:48 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the info.
(FWIW: My BVP-4 is the first model, not the Plus.)
Decisions, decisions. I hate to part with tools and toys.
09-05-2022, 07:18 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
BVP4, BVP4+, same difference

I feel the way way about parting with tools. But I will, if certain conditions exist. I have a screwy functional BVP4+ that needs unknown repair to make it behave, and am willing to sell it for $250(ish). However, that screwy nature may make it even more desirable, because again wacky artists are the target market for these now. Not listed it yet, want to retest, run some numbers. At some point, I'll consider parting with my personal BVP4+, for at least $650, but only after I finish with samples images/videos for the new site rollout. My main proc amps are PA-100 and PA-200, and not parting with those whatsoever. Same for the detailers. I just don't have need for the BVP4+ anymore.

Just remember, at this late date, whatever you sell will probably NOT be available to you again, or at least in the same condition.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs