Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-17-2022, 11:46 AM
Free Member

Hello everyone,

I'm digitizing some old home movies (1980's to 1990's) and have learned a lot through the cache of information wealth within this forum! Per the recommended threads, I picked up a very clean JVC SR-VS30 and have begun digitizing 3 tapes as a test. I understand the importance of a proper TBC, but as I'm seeing prices around the $2500 mark for a unit, it's just out of my budget to get one.

With that said, is there any benefit to using a DMR-ES10 or DMR-ES15 as a pass-through between my JVC SR-VS30 and Diamond VC500 capture device? They can be had relatively cheap on eBay (under $100).

Thanks everyone!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-17-2022, 05:09 PM
Free Member

A video is worth a thousand words i guess (different model, same principle)https://youtu.be/tMA5aH_olAQ
12-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
A video is worth a thousand words i guess (different model, same principle)https://youtu.be/tMA5aH_olAQ
Does the VCR in that video already have a TBC function built-in like my JVC SR-VS30? Basically, my question is that I'm stacking a DMR-ES10/ES15 for it's built-in TBC on top of my VCR that already has TBC... so would I still benefit?
12-17-2022, 06:51 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
I don't think that Youtube clip really applies here, too generic.

The question is about JVC line TBC, and whether ES15 helps. And the answer is mostly "no". When the JVC line TBC has issues, almost always tearing, sometimes intra-image "watery" look, then disable the JVC line TBC, use the strong+crippled ES15 line instead. Neither have frame TBC. The ES15 has non-TBC frame sync, but most everything digital video has frame sync, not the same as TBC.

There is a quirky cheap/budget exception, where you rely on the JVC line TBC, use the ES15 pure frame sync. and feed that to a weaker frame TBC like DVK (after modification). The ES10/15-DVK is a passable TBC replacement, though still has all the quality-reducing downsides of both the ES10/15 and DVK, unlike an actual quality TBC made for analog consumer formats.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
12-17-2022, 07:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord
There is a quirky cheap/budget exception, where you rely on the JVC line TBC, use the ES15 pure frame sync. and feed that to a weaker frame TBC like DVK (after modification).
Did you mean "don't rely on the JVC line TBC"? As written, you've got the JVC line TBC, the ES-15 and the DVK all in the workflow.
12-17-2022, 09:38 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Did you mean "don't rely on the JVC line TBC"? As written, you've got the JVC line TBC, the ES-15 and the DVK all in the workflow.
Yes, but no.

There are 3 workflows involving ES10/15 type

JVC/Panasonic type S-VHS VCR with line TBC, TBC on
> ES15 line TBC does nothing, therefore only non-TBC frame sync still active.
Workflow must still end with frame TBC.
This setup is redundant, ES15 not needed here whatsoever.

JVC/Panasonic type S-VHS VCR with line TBC, TBC off, or S-VHS without line TBC
> ES15 acts as line TBC (with flaws/limitations, yet strong)
Workflow must still end with frame TBC, even if weaker DVK type units
This setup is really intended for anti-tearing, nothing more.

Random/generic non-SVHS consumer VCR
> ES15 acts as line TBC (with flaws/limitations, yet strong)
Workflow must still end with frame TBC, even if weaker DVK type units
The problem with consumer VCRs is most are awful. S-VHS isn't just about the "S" or the TBC, but the entire mechanics of the unit. Everything from screw tolerances to spring quality. Some units have some % of quality, such as some Sony and Sharp, but all of the no-name and Funai type decks are crap, and even the ES15 cannot save it from itself. Even many "brand names" are rebadged or rebadgers, so the units are still worthless.

Some people try ES15 without anything else, but the results are highly variable. I've seen many samples over the years, and the captures still have issues. Most people fail to realize that the ES10/15 can, and do, drop or dupe frames internally. It's often easy to make a VCR>ES15 setup drop frames, simply by start/stop the playback, few other basic tests.

12-18-2022, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

For what it's worth, a few months ago I was playing a "Ren and Stimpy" episode taped off the air, and it was practically unwatchable, then I realized my SR-VS30 was going into input 1 of my DMR-ES15, so when I turned off TBC on the deck, it looked much better. I learned soon after that input 2 doesn't apply the frame TBC, so now I just keep the JVC connected to that, and leave IN1 open for other devices. I'll get a proper frame TBC and/or an AG-1980 when I have the money, but I've been fairly lucky with this setup in the meantime.
12-19-2022, 09:52 PM
Free Member

Interesting. I appreciate everyone's input. So, from what I understand, it will be pointless to add a ES10/ES15 into the workflow since my JVC SR-VS30 already has line TBC.

One question that I can't seem to find an answer to (yes, I looked through the manual!) - how do I ensure that TBC is activated on my JVC SR-VS30?
12-19-2022, 09:58 PM
Site Staff | Video

It's in the menu, on/off.