Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-28-2022, 02:52 PM
Free Member

Hello and first off thank you for providing such a great resource...I'm setting up a VHS capture system/workflow for personal use and this site has been very helpful.

After a bit of reading, I picked up an AG1980P locally for $200...fingers crossed that it's in good working condition.

1. Is there any reason why I shouldn't clean the internal components right away? I read through T Grants head cleaning guide and seems to all make sense.

Next up is purchasing a capture card/device + record software. I only have access to Mac OS currently so Virtual Dub + Hauppauge USB-Live2 won't work for me it seems...

2. Are there any recommended capture devices and software for Mac? I have Davinci Resolve + Premiere but it doesn't sound like NLEs are good for capturing, unfortunately. I also read that BMD's shuttle intensity card isnt great for this use etc. Any other options for Mac?

3. I should definitely use the S-Video output not the SDI output, correct?

4. There are a lot of settings on the AG1980 so I'm reading through the manual but any tips for best practice buttons/settings on this deck? Capturing VHS etc

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-28-2022, 03:19 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
What Mac OS do you have? There are some good options for 10.14 and lower.

In general, Mac is the wrong tool for video capture. Mac does lots of things well, I have one myself, but not for this. You'll have a tough time getting quality, or getting it to work, or both.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-28-2022, 03:22 PM
Free Member

ah I was hoping that wouldn't be the case : /

I have an iMac Pro running 12.6.1 but I suppose I could reformat my Macbook pro with 10.14 if that helps
11-28-2022, 04:21 PM
Free Member

I'm selling ATI 600 USB Clones. If you want one, send me a PM!

EDIT: We do not want to see posts like this on this forum.

1. We simply direct to the marketplace, when appropriate, and only as part of a helpful reply. (If you marketplace post was not approved, then something about it was not compliant to site rules.)

2. This card does NOT work with macOS 12, and is not appropriate here whatsoever.

For example, while I obviously discuss my items for sale on this site, I've very tactful about it, and never "buy my stuff, PM me". That's just crass, spammy, and reeks of "used car salesman". The open forum is for help, generating our community FAQ, not self promotion.

-LS
11-28-2022, 09:25 PM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townly View Post
ah I was hoping that wouldn't be the case : /
I have an iMac Pro running 12.6.1 but I suppose I could reformat my Macbook pro with 10.14 if that helps
Given how much of a step backwards 10.14 is from 12.6, I wouldn't advise doing that. What hardware is your Mac based on? Because 10.14 may not even install on hardware that came after it.

PS: Disregard that last post, "buy my stuff" was not an appropriate reply.

11-29-2022, 08:31 AM
Free Member

Noted and I'll keep that in mind when trying to roll back the OS...might be able to get my hands on an old mac system as well if the hardware ends up being an issue.

If I am successful, what are the capture devices you had in mind for 10.4?

If I am unable to roll the OS that far back, are there any newer capture devices that might be worth just giving a shot? Unfortunately adding a PC isn't something I'm ready for.

Thanks for all the insight
11-29-2022, 09:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

If you're willing to roll back the OS, do that first, before we even discuss the capture options. The OS not taking will not be due to external USB devices, but the internals.

If you're willing to buy an old Mac, why not just buy an older WinXP or Win7 system instead? There are even some specific excellent Win7 laptops for capture. Because then you'll have access to some of the best hardware. I'm not necessarily fond of Windows myself, but it is the OS for video capture, and most video tasks in general. I save my Mac for editing, photo, few other web tasks. And then our daily non-video systems here are Xubuntu and Mint.

There's also some really nifty Win10 MiniPC systems, including one that looks like a tiny G4 Mac tower. I have that for my audio work. It's not an ideal capture system, but it does work with a few decent cards.

I know there's a "very good condition" refurb 2014 Mac Mini on eBay from "pacificmacs", for about $235. If I can't get my own 2010 Mac Mini to work again, I'll be buying one. What I'm really looking forward to is the new M2 Mini, I need it for H.265 editing.

Note that TBC matters. What VCR and TBC are in use?

11-29-2022, 09:34 AM
Free Member

Gotcha. I think there's old mac mini at work I could have so I wouldn't have to buy it, which is nice. If thats not the case, I'll look into PCs.

Looks like it'll have be a pretty old mac (2007ish) to run 10.4

Deck-wise, I picked up a Panasonic AG1980P locally. S-Video cable arrives tomorrow so I can test it out and see what kind of condition it is it.

I'm planning on using the built-in TBC unless you suggest otherwise

Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't clean the internal components/heads right away? I read through T Grants head cleaning guide and seems to all make sense.
11-29-2022, 10:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

10.14 not 10.4
And anything before 10.6.8 is useless for almost anything.

AG-1980P internals are touchy. Proceed with caution.
Clean the heads, the proper way, the "copy paper method" is suggested in the 2020s (too many swabs are now cheaply made, and can damage the heads), and TGrant does that as well.

Have you tested the unit yet? Odds are it needs caps work to be usable.

11-29-2022, 10:25 AM
Free Member

Oh wow, I completely misread that. Thank you for clarifying. 10.14 makes a lot more sense!

In that case, I can use my MacBook Pro to run 10.14 (Early 2015)

I'm waiting on an S-Video cable (arrives tomorrow) to test the deck out.

Tags
ag1980, mac, panasonic, vhs capture