12-12-2022, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Hi all,

Recently was able to complete my workflow after a few months when I got my JVC S-VHS deck and Big VooDoo TBC10 full frame TBC from lordsmurf. Anyways, starting with all the 8mms (Hi8/Video8) first, then moving onto VHS/VHS-C.

I would like you to know my biggest concern: Making sure I have a good capture that can be edited in the future. I don't care if I need to add saturation, etc, anything that can be done post. I just want to ensure that information isn't lost during the capture, and that I have a solid capture to work with. Once I can get to that point, I will worry about color correcting, etc post-capture. I just don't want to redo captures.

Current workflow for 8mm:

Sony CCD-TRV65 camera -> Big VooDoo TBC10 TBC -> AIW VE PCI 64M capture card -> VirtialDub in Windows XP

Not concerned about audio, using a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz TB400 with no issues.

Attached is a short capture (no audio, huffyuv) that I thought worked well for testing: Tripod camera, with a white wall but also a few darkspots (towards the left on the table where the piano is), and colorful RGB blocks.

Also attached ColorTools and what I saw. I've had trouble looking at guides to figure out where these needs to be, other than as close to the edges as you can without clipping much. Again, I'm worried about the capture here, not post editing (although I'll take some pointers there too!). I want to make sure my captures are good for editing later.

I was using a mix of the proc amp on the TBC and levels in VirtualDub, settings posted below. Please let me know if it's good to mix these or not.

Camera Settings (Sony CCD-TRV65):
  • TBC On
  • DNR Off
Frame TVC Settings (Big VooDoo TBC10):
  • Luma 102
  • Chroma 75
  • Hue 128
  • Notch Filter On, Comb Filter Off
  • Detail SH0 (lowest sharpness)
  • Pedistal In Off
  • Pedistal Out Off
  • Time constant SP2 (VCR)
Levels in VirtualDub:
  • Brightness: 128
  • Contrast: 128
  • Hue: 128
  • Saturation: 200
  • Sharpness: 170
Thank you in advance for any advice, please let me know if you have any more questions that I need to answer. I feel like with 8mm I have to crank the saturation to get the colors to pop more naturally, hoping this is normal.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example.jpg (52.3 KB, 13 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi Example.avi (85.78 MB, 9 downloads)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-12-2022, 06:25 PM
Free Member

Your AVI is in HYMT format, (HUFFYUV-MT) so I can't open it.

There have been recent posts about using HYMT, for example:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...e-huffyuv.html

I don't know one way or the other as I capture with Win 10 and Lagarith, but I suggest you do some searching on HYMT to see if it is indeed the best codec for capturing in your situation.

I know it is suggested here:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...lters-pre.html

But it seems as though others think Huff MT is not the way to go. Certainly, other programs can't read Huff MT files eg VLC Player, Avidemux.
12-12-2022, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hushpower View Post
Your AVI is in HYMT format, (HUFFYUV-MT) so I can't open it.

There have been recent posts about using HYMT, for example:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...e-huffyuv.html

I don't know one way or the other as I capture with Win 10 and Lagarith, but I suggest you do some searching on HYMT to see if it is indeed the best codec for capturing in your situation.

I know it is suggested here:

https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vid...lters-pre.html

But it seems as though others think Huff MT is not the way to go. Certainly, other programs can't read Huff MT files eg VLC Player, Avidemux.
Sorry, I will upload with the non-multi-threaded Huff and a MPEG2 at a 15 Mb/s bitrate. I can't edit original post so I will put here.

The MPEG2 has the overscan masked out.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Example.jpg (52.3 KB, 5 downloads)
Attached Files
File Type: avi Example.avi (88.89 MB, 4 downloads)
File Type: mpg Example.mpg (11.02 MB, 5 downloads)
12-13-2022, 11:44 AM
Free Member

I looked at the original Example.avi, but it's difficult to make conclusions. For example, there's some subtle red/green flickering in the white wall, it could be a timebase issue or maybe the camera was just struggling to expose properly in the low light, or maybe the light itself flickered. Was it fluorescent lighting?
12-15-2022, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traal View Post
I looked at the original Example.avi, but it's difficult to make conclusions. For example, there's some subtle red/green flickering in the white wall, it could be a timebase issue or maybe the camera was just struggling to expose properly in the low light, or maybe the light itself flickered. Was it fluorescent lighting?
Thanks. Ya I'm not sure if that's noise I can clean up later, or if it's going to be bad to capture that. I want to say it was incandescent (which would have been to the left/right behind the camera), though we did install a fluorescent light to the right behind the camera over a pool table (I think), although I believe that was later than this video was taken.