Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Capture, Record, Transfer

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-08-2023, 09:51 AM
Unconfirmed User

Questions: How to install HuffyUV codec in Premier Pro? Is my workflow logical enough?

-------

I am starting on my journey into archiving old DV Tapes: Digital8 for now. My objective is to save digital archive files that I can cut up and edit later. I am a little stuck at this point and any coaching is appreciated.

> My workflow is SonyTRV730 to Computer via firewire.
> Capture in Virtualdub and save as AVI.
So now I have my digital .AVI file for archiving.

For editing, I am more comfortable with Premier Pro in my workflow. I want deinterlaced work-with files as the lines on these videos are super distracting. I know that anything I do to the DV AVI original at this point will incur loss because of re-encoding. So I de-interlace in Virtualdub using filter YUV422. Then save file as AVI again (with HuffyUV compression).

But, I cannot seem to get HuffyUV codec into Premier Pro. I have HuffyUV installed into the SYSWOW64 folder and I've tried installing it into the Adobe/Common/Plugin folder.

At this point, Premier Pro will not only not compress with HuffyUV, it also won't read an AVI file that is compressed with HuffyUV.

My question is two part:

1. Is there a way to get HuffyUV codec into Premier Pro?

And,

2. Is my workflow stupid - should I just deinterlace (and color correct, etc.) in Premier Pro as I'm editing my archive AVIs for consumption (sharing / web) and save as Mp4s?

Thank you.

Jerry T
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-08-2023, 10:28 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
See this: https://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/vid...g-huffyuv.html
Links here: https://github.com/hofmand/video-codec-installers

There are more manual install ways, but his nifty installer makes it easier now.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
01-08-2023, 01:08 PM
Unconfirmed User

Thank you! Working on installing the .msi via the command line . You are right. Github is not so user friendly and the install as admin is a bit of a pain - - we'll see if I can get it
01-08-2023, 02:17 PM
Free Member

miniDV and D8 are better transferred as they are from tape to hard drive, Capturing it via analog output will result in decoding, converting to analog, and converting from analog back to digital, not a wise idea. DV can be edited in its digital state.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos
01-08-2023, 09:17 PM
Unconfirmed User

Latreche34 - Thank you. I think the Sony TRV730 (tape player) connected to the computer via firewire is the digital transfer of the file from the tape to the computer hard drive. I'm not using S-connect or coaxial or capture card for conversion - just straight through the firewire. Am I getting this wrong?

Still not able to get a huffy codec into premier pro though...
01-08-2023, 10:40 PM
Free Member

Yes, Something wrong. What does transferring DV to computer has anything to do with Huffyuv? DV is transferred to computer using Sclive or WinDV, Not vdub, not premiere.

https://www.youtube.com/@Capturing-Memories/videos

Tags
#premierpro #huffyuv