Go Back    Forum > Digital Video > Video Project Help > Encode, Convert for discs

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-10-2021, 04:17 PM
Free Member

Few years ago I captured my old family videos from VHS-C tapes using VC500 device and all the guidance provided by Lordsmurf, Sanlyn and others on this forum. Thanks to all.

Originally I was capturing and converting to DV AVI with Canopus ADVC100, but thanks for advising, I switched to Diamond VC500 and ATI 600, using VirtualDub, HuffYUV.
I ended up with VC500 even this required to adjust levels (AGC issues) for each tape or at least to monitor. I did not like ATI 600 since it was clipping blacks (superblacks) and clipped details cannot be recovered.
JVC player with TBC was used.

The time came to start watching those videos on TV, burn on Blu Ray for distributing to others.

There is no time to play using Avisynth deinterlacing with QTGMC, resizing, applying filters.
I just want simply cut unwanted scenes with no editing, and encode with H264 for watching on TV using media player (OPPO 95) and burn on Blu Ray for distribution.

Looking for advice on what format to use converting/compressing those archival master videos with H264, using Power Director 16.

Few things I was considering (please comment):
1. Since there will not be any editing using Avisynth, its filters that require deinterlaced video - no need to deinterlace.
2. It is actually a good thing to not deinterlace with SW since HW players during playback perform deinterlacing better than even QTGMC (was mentioned on this forum if I am not mistaken).
OPPO 95 output is set to produce 1080 60p.
3. It will follow a rule to keep material interlaced as far as possible.
2. H264 can take and encode Interlaced video with similar picture quality as progressive.
3. I can use 25MBps bitrate for 1920x1080 59.94i H264 encoder settings (using Power Director), that would be also valid specs for authoring Blu Ray.
4. Some archived lossless HuffYUV AVI files are 25fps from PAL VHS tapes. To keep thigs simple, not to change players’ output format setting, the most sense would be to encode 25fps videos to 59.94i, not the 50i. This will eliminate one more conversion that has to be done by OPPO.
5. The big question how Power Director handles rescaling to 1920x1080, since it is not a good thing to resize interlaced video, is it going to deinterlaced, rescale and reinterlace to have interlaced material and encode with H264? It is hard to believe.

Looking for your comments and advice.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2021, 09:31 AM
Free Member

Just to make it simpler.
Is it a good workflow to encode HuffYUV AVI files (captured from VHS) as interlaced with H264 (Power Director will resize it to 1080) and let the HW player to deinterlace during playback?
02-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokoko32 View Post
Just to make it simpler.
Is it a good workflow to encode HuffYUV AVI files (captured from VHS) as interlaced with H264 (Power Director will resize it to 1080) and let the HW player to deinterlace during playback?
I didn't read your first post yet.//

But to answer this: NO!

You will massively screw up quality by upsizing VHS to 1080p. There is near-zero valid reasons for that, aside from mixed-sources documentaries.

Blu-ray supports 720x480 SD content as MPEG, and you can use a nice fat 15mbps bitrate.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-11-2021, 09:47 AM
Free Member

I was thinking of 1080i as Blu Ray supports it and it will follow a common rule to keep interlaced material as far as possible and let the player to deinterlace.
You are suggesting to encode as is Interlaced 720x480 using Mpeg 2, not H264 and let the HW player during playback to resize to 1080 and deinterlace to 60P?
02-11-2021, 09:51 AM
Site Staff | Video

That is more ideal, yes.

Sure, you can go to the effort of deinterlace (QTGMC) or IVTC, which may slightly boost quality of the deinterlace. But the main issue is the upsize, it's damaging.

02-11-2021, 10:29 AM
Free Member

It means that upsize is damaging in both ways, upsizing in SW and by HW player?
In this case thee picture size on TV would be small, not not sure if visual perception wise it looks better than damaged by upsizing 1080?

I recall on this forum you mentioned (I might be wrong) that HW player does deinterlacing better than QTGMC.

The idea was not to spend so much time running video trough Avisynth but make a quick encode and just watch it, as is.
02-11-2021, 10:47 AM
Site Staff | Video

Software upsizing is damaging, and is not the same as hardware scaling.

Hardware deinterlace is different that QTGMC. Sometimes QTGMC is better, sometimes worse, sometimes neutral. The advantage of leaving interlace alone is that newer hardware will do a better deinterlace. We've already seen that happen several times in past decades. Whereas the software deinterlace method is permanent, no more potential quality improvements.

If you want a quick encode to watch, then interlaced 720x480 MPEG @ 15mbps on a Blu-ray is fast and easy. Do that.

If you want to stream, then use Hybrid to QTGMC deinterlace + encode to H.264.

02-11-2021, 12:44 PM
Free Member

Lordsmurf, thanks so much. I will run some test to find the best option.
Would it make sense to use H264 to encode 720x480 @15 Mbps instead of Mpeg2?
H264 at the same bitrae will preserve more details.
The question, is H264 with the interlaced material is same good as with progressive?
02-11-2021, 08:56 PM
Site Staff | Video

Players don't handle H264 interlace well. BD specs support interlaced H264, but I don't recall SD support. And even then, most SD BD software is MPEG only. You're messing the fire trying to eek out quality that isn't there, all in the name of trying to compress bitrate. Stick to 15mbit MPEG interlaced, and all will be well. Stray, and you may hit bricks walls.

02-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Free Member

OK, convinced. I will try MPEG, using SD, but now I might need a better MPEG encoder than is in Power Director.

Looks like you are using MainConcept, would you recommend MainConcept Reference 2.2?
I was using in the past Canopus Procoder for compressing to burn on to DVDs. That will not be a good option for 15Mbps.

Since Power Director cannot frame serve to external encoders I need to use different workflow.
Would this be the most optimal/simple:
Open HuffYUV files in VirtualDub, cut unwanted scenes, frameserve to MainConecpt Reference?